Origin Point in Chaotic Motion: Conventional vs Relative

• I
  • Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
In summary, the origin point in chaotic motion is the starting point of a chaotic system that determines its unpredictable behavior. While conventional origin points are fixed in space, relative origin points take into account the dynamics of the system. The choice of origin point greatly affects the outcome of chaotic motion and cannot be controlled, but can be influenced by carefully choosing initial conditions. Other factors such as system parameters and external influences also play a role in the behavior of chaotic motion.
nomadreid
Gold Member
suppose you are tracking a particle in continuous chaotic motion (or just a random walk) and you select a point as the origin for a coordinate system. Would you refer to the point as the "conventional center", "relative center", "conditional center", "imaginary center", or what? (For Russian speakers : I am trying to translate the phrase "условного центра", although I do not know whether the author is using the standard Russian term either. A Russian speaker suggested "imaginary", but that does not sit well, to my mind.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps "reference point" ?

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, BvU. That's a pretty good option. Definitely better than mine.

Related to Origin Point in Chaotic Motion: Conventional vs Relative

1. What is the origin point in chaotic motion?

The origin point in chaotic motion refers to the starting point or initial condition of a chaotic system. It is the point at which the system begins its unpredictable and sensitive behavior.

2. What is the difference between conventional and relative origin points?

The conventional origin point is defined as a fixed point in space, while the relative origin point is defined in relation to another point. In chaotic motion, the relative origin point can be more useful as it takes into account the dynamics of the system and its starting point may change depending on the context.

3. How does the choice of origin point affect chaotic motion?

The choice of origin point can greatly affect the behavior of a chaotic system. Changing the origin point can result in different trajectories and lead to vastly different outcomes. It is important to carefully consider the origin point when studying chaotic motion.

4. Can the origin point be controlled in chaotic motion?

No, the origin point in chaotic motion cannot be controlled as it is determined by the initial conditions of the system. However, by understanding the dynamics of the system and carefully choosing the initial conditions, the behavior of chaotic motion can be influenced.

5. Is the origin point the only factor that determines the behavior of chaotic motion?

No, the behavior of a chaotic system is also influenced by other factors such as the system's parameters and external influences. The origin point is just one of the initial conditions that contribute to the unpredictable nature of chaotic motion.