Well, all in all, I had a reaaaaaally frustrating first night with my new baby. First of all, the weatherman - he's a liar. I don't care if he said it was going to be clear tonight. It wasn't. Problems went beyond that, though...
The night started with me not realizing the retractable counterweight shaft blocked the polar alignment scope and ended with a corrector plate covered with dew. In between, I dodged clouds, fixed software bugs on my camera (yes, I did shoot dark frames!), and dealt with much worse than expected tracking. The only image I took tonight worth posting is the regular camera pic of me standing next to the scope! Otherwise, I have one barely recognizable photo of M27.
The tracking was the biggest source of worry - large, noticeable error in half of my 30 second exposures. The error was mostly periodic in nature, so it could be the mount's normal periodic error, but I hope not - the magnitude of the error (accumulated over several minutes) was more than an arcminute, 2-4x more than people typically report. I've heard tracking is better with a 2 star alignment than with the 3-star, so I'll try that tomorrow night. I didn't drift align (I never have yet), but the polar alignment scope puts the alignment to within a few arcmin of the NCP, so I was hoping for better - what I got was roughly equal to what I have gotten with my ETX. Hmm - another possibility is that I aligned the polar axis before mounting the scope and counterweights. Perhaps I moved it out of alignment when I did that.
I was able to get a glimpse of M27, M57, and M13 through the eyepiece, but with bright skies and clouds, they were just dim, gray spots on the eyepiece. Even M13, which I had to give up on completely due to clouds. Go-to's were pretty good: all 3 objects were in the eyepiece (when the clouds moved out of the way) when ordered.
Actual setup of the scope wasn't too bad. Actually, the worst of it was that I pulled a muscle in my back yesterday at the gym - first time I've ever had to quit in the middle of a workout in my life. Now how the heck am I supposed to set up a 120lb telescope with a bad back?? Really, except for not being able to see Polaris real well through the counterweight shaft (and I tried for half an hour), I had no problems at all setting it up.