What forms do I need to fill out for Oxford Physics admissions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying for an undergraduate degree in physics at Oxford University. The individual is a student from India and is seeking guidance on what forms need to be filled out. They are aware of the UCAS form, but are unsure if there are any additional forms required and what the deadlines are. Another individual mentions that in addition to the forms, a written test must also be taken and provides a link for more information. The person seeking guidance expresses gratitude and mentions that there are multiple discussions on this topic.
harshant
Hullo everyone,

I am a student from India wishing to apply as a senior student to Oxford for there undergraduate degree in physics (starting in Oct 2010). Can anyone guide me as to what all forms need to be filled ? I know about the UCAS form but are there any additional forms that need to be sent to Oxford and what are the deadlines for the same ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hullo harshant! :smile:
harshant said:
Hullo everyone,

I am a student from India wishing to apply as a senior student to Oxford for there undergraduate degree in physics (starting in Oct 2010). Can anyone guide me as to what all forms need to be filled ? I know about the UCAS form but are there any additional forms that need to be sent to Oxford and what are the deadlines for the same ?

You've left it very late (but not too late) …

in addition to the forms, you need to take a written test, and you have to arrange that …

for details of the forms and the test, see http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/physics/physics_.html" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks tiny-tim. Ill see what I can do. Two threads on the same topic on the same day! It seems I have competition :smile:

1. What are the entry requirements for Oxford Physics?

The standard entry requirements for Oxford Physics include an A* grade in A-level Mathematics, as well as an A* or A grade in A-level Physics (or equivalent). Additionally, most successful applicants will have completed A-level Further Mathematics or have a strong background in this subject. Please note that these are minimum requirements and meeting them does not guarantee admission.

2. Do I need to take the Physics Aptitude Test (PAT) for Oxford Physics?

Yes, all applicants for Oxford Physics are required to take the PAT as part of the admissions process. The test assesses problem-solving skills and scientific knowledge and is used to help determine an applicant's suitability for the course. It is important to prepare for the PAT by familiarizing yourself with the types of questions asked and practicing past papers.

3. What is the interview process like for Oxford Physics?

The interview process for Oxford Physics typically consists of two interviews with tutors from the Physics department. These interviews are designed to assess your problem-solving skills, scientific understanding, and ability to think critically. You may also be asked to solve problems and discuss your thought process. It is important to prepare for these interviews by reviewing your personal statement and practicing problem-solving.

4. Are there any specific subjects or experiences that Oxford looks for in applicants for Physics?

Oxford values a strong foundation in Mathematics and Physics, so it is important to have high grades in these subjects. It is also beneficial to have experience in problem-solving and critical thinking, as well as a passion for Physics demonstrated through extracurricular activities, reading, or work experience in a related field.

5. Can I apply for deferred entry to Oxford Physics?

Yes, Oxford Physics offers deferred entry to a small number of students each year. If you are interested in deferred entry, you must indicate this on your UCAS application and provide a valid reason for the deferral. Please note that deferred entry applicants will still need to meet the entry requirements and go through the same admissions process as regular applicants.