Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Page13 on Griffiths quantum mechanics

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    In the prove of the Schrodinger equation preserves the normalization I don't understand the step
    from

∂ψ/∂t=ih/2m ∂2ψ/∂x2- i/h Vψ

to

∂ψ*/∂t=-ih/2m ∂2ψ/∂x2+ i/h Vψ* (h represents h bar)

the book says "taking complex conjugate equation" but I don't see how.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2
    Welcome Frank, it says it's your first post~

Alright so we literally just change any aspect of the equation which contains an imaginary component to minus said component.

For example...
    [itex]e^{-iHt/ \hbar} [/itex]
    goes to

[itex]e^{iHt/ \hbar} [/itex]

We make the assumption that V is real and that ψ is complex.

Given the above should help, I'm sure you're familiar but, just in case ψ* refers to the complex conjugate of ψ.

Let me know if I missed what you were asking some how, though I'm sure someone can answer a little more cleanly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_conjugate
    The wiki page provides the general information on conjugating as well.

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3
    If you have some equation a = b then you can take the complex conjugate of both sides and get a* = b*. Then you just have to know that the complex conjugate of a product is the product of the complex conjugate; the complex conjugate of a derivative is the derivative of the complex conjugate; the complex conjugate of i is -i; etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook