Paper: Ritual human sacrifice effect on stratification

In summary, this article discusses how human sacrifice promoted and sustained the evolution of stratified societies.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
I posted this in discussion because it was interesting, IMO, and does not fit anywhere on PF

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature17159.html
Ritual human sacrifice promoted and sustained the evolution of stratified societies

The hypothesis is: more use of human sacrifice in the past, results in increased stratification of the extant modern culture. The data are from a single SE Asian language family.

For me, the ISIS atrocities come to mind as a modern example of control using ritual homicide. 'Ritual homicide' is a staged execution, my definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Fervent Freyja and Enigman
Physics news on Phys.org
jim mcnamara said:
I posted this in discussion because it was interesting, IMO, and does not fit anywhere on PF

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature17159.html
Ritual human sacrifice promoted and sustained the evolution of stratified societies

The hypothesis is: more use of human sacrifice in the past, results in increased stratification of the extant modern culture. The data are from a single SE Asian language family.

For me, the ISIS atrocities come to mind as a modern example of control using ritual homicide. 'Ritual homicide' is a staged execution, my definition.

Interesting, I will have to re-read it later.

Yep, it can be defined as staged- how else could they manipulate/control a larger group if nobody witnessed it? Ritual sacrifice would have been very similar to ritual homicide we see now, same circumstance?

It's disgusting and terrible what these people are doing, have you watched the videos? Being thrown out of windows one after another while the group below watches? Lining them up all together makes it worse for me to watch, it is evident that they value no human life, not even their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Evo
Well, if you think about it from the sociologist's perspective, as long as a society values sacrifice, fulfilling that value is essentially achieving a sort of equilibrium, if you will. Either straying from that norm or witnessing that society from a different set of values will undoubtedly cause moral conflict.

Maybe Machiavelli has a say somewhere in this.

1. What is the main purpose of the study on "Paper: Ritual human sacrifice effect on stratification"?

The main purpose of this study is to examine the relationship between ritual human sacrifice and social stratification in ancient societies. The researchers aim to determine if there is a correlation between the prevalence of ritual human sacrifice and the development of social hierarchy.

2. How was the data collected for this study?

The data for this study was collected through a comprehensive analysis of archaeological and historical evidence from multiple ancient societies around the world. The researchers also conducted interviews with experts in the field and consulted previous studies on the topic.

3. What were the results of the study?

The results of the study showed a significant correlation between the practice of ritual human sacrifice and the development of social stratification. In societies where ritual human sacrifice was prevalent, there was a higher likelihood of a hierarchical social structure.

4. What are the potential implications of these findings?

These findings suggest that ritual human sacrifice may have played a crucial role in the development and maintenance of social hierarchy in ancient societies. This sheds light on the cultural and social significance of these practices and their impact on the organization of human societies.

5. Are there any limitations to this study?

Like any scientific study, there are limitations to this research. One limitation is the lack of complete and accurate historical records for some ancient societies. Additionally, the study focuses on the correlation between ritual human sacrifice and social stratification, but it does not establish a causation between the two.

Back