Patrick, half-eaten, gave the bear a punch on its nose

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, Patrick Flinders, 16, was attacked by a polar bear on Svalbard. Despite being trapped in the bear's mouth, Patrick instinctively punched it on the nose. He had to have bear molars removed from his head by doctors. His attitude towards the tragedy was commendable. Others suggested training bears to avoid people and using guns to scare them off, but it was noted that this could lead to the bears becoming accustomed to humans.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Sometimes, food resists its destiny.
Patrick Flinders, 16, was one of the youths attacked by the polar bear on Svalbard.
Instinctively, when his head was trapped within the bear's mouth, Patrick gave the bear a hefty punch on the nose.
The doctors had to remove a few bear molars from Patrick's head..

I like Patrick's attitude, in the midst of the terrible tragedy that he and the others experienced.
http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16045672

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't imagine what that must've been like. Very freaky!

This was the first thing that came to mind when I read this:

don%27t-give-up.jpg

good for him. but i would like to see more training of bears to avoid people in the first place. can we get more firing of boomsticks in their general direction?

Sensational thread title.

Bear 1 "You look terrible. You get in a fight over the weekend"
Bear 2 "Yeah, But you should see the other guy"

or is that Patrick to all his buddies!

Proton Soup said:
good for him. but i would like to see more training of bears to avoid people in the first place. can we get more firing of boomsticks in their general direction?

That wouldn't train them to avoid people, they'd just get used to us (abd our guns) faster in the long run. The best way to keep beast afraid of man is for beast to not see man very often. We have open black bear season here when there's too many near town. Kill out the curious strain.

What happened to Patrick?

Based on the statement, it can be inferred that Patrick was half-eaten, possibly by the bear.

Why did Patrick punch the bear?

It is not explicitly stated why Patrick punched the bear, but it can be assumed that he was trying to defend himself from being eaten.

What was the result of Patrick's punch on the bear's nose?

The statement does not provide information on the result of the punch, so it is unknown what happened afterwards.

Was the bear injured from the punch?

There is no evidence to suggest that the bear was injured from the punch, but it is possible depending on the force of the punch and the vulnerability of the bear's nose.

What can we learn from this statement?

The statement highlights a possible encounter between a person and a bear and the instinct to defend oneself in a dangerous situation.

Back