Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pentagon Paid $999,798 to Ship Two 19-Cent Washers to Texas

1. Aug 16, 2007 #1
    Pentagon Paid $999,798 to Ship Two 19-Cent Washers to Texas!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20070816/pl_bloomberg/ajkoyhuchw0m_1

How can anyone at the Pentagon not notice something like that? Or maybe everyone actually does, and it's an indication of the level of corruption in the US government. That's more likely.

I've read that was the reason Canada was created, except it was the Welland Canal corporation & the Grand Trunk Railroad (now CN) that shafted the government relentlessly. A united Canada was proposed because there would be a bigger tax base to help the government pay off its huge debts to the British bankers who financed everything.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heck, a million bucks is nothing. But if you start talking about a billion here, and a billion there, pretty soon we're talking about real money!

Besides, they were surely very fine washers.

4. Aug 16, 2007 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The article doesn't say anything about repayment. I'm sorry but jail time is not sufficient, this is a crime against every taxpayer in this country. So now our tax dollars will pay for this person to live in a (more than likely) minimum security prison for white collar crimes?

5. Aug 16, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The washers were probably shipped instantaneously. It's not cheap to circumvent the laws of physics! In order to do that you have to bribe every major deity the world has known, including Ra, Zeus, Saturn, Buddha, Mickey Mouse, and Jesus in that order. That takes a lot of dough!

6. Aug 16, 2007 #5
    You want them beheaded?

7. Aug 16, 2007 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Sick! Some guy with a gun cops a couple of thousand dollars in a hold-up, and he'll spend the next 20 years in prison. These people should be forced to pay full restitution and be locked away for life. We should consider adopting China's approach to punishing corruption and theft. Doing time in a country estate with minimal security is not punishment - it is a slap on the wrist and permission to pretend that you have "done your penance" to society.

8. Aug 16, 2007 #7

Evo

I was thinking a daily public flogging.

9. Aug 16, 2007 #8
    I see.

10. Aug 16, 2007 #9

Evo

Not harsh enough? What ever happened to "punishment to fit the crime"?

11. Aug 16, 2007 #10
    What kind of 19¢ washer would need to be shipped from SC to TX? They don't have washers down there?

12. Aug 16, 2007 #11
    "My object all sublime
    I will achieve in time:
    To let the punishment fit the crime,
    The punishment fit the crime.
    And make each prisoner pent,
    Unwillingly represent,
    A source of innocent merriment,
    Of innocent merriment."

13. Aug 16, 2007 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Or you could give these "ladies" a choice. They could opt for hanging or a daily public flogging. Might have to import some rattan-flogging pros from Singapore to make the choice a fair one. :grumpy:

14. Aug 16, 2007 #13
    Good quetion.

15. Aug 16, 2007 #14

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Didn't they check Amazon?
    Maybe they could have ordered with FREE Super Saver Shipping... if they ordered $25 or more.

16. Aug 16, 2007 #15

Evo

And therein lies the problem, if the order is only for 38 cents, the shipping is $999,798.00

17. Aug 16, 2007 #16
    Funding for MIB?

18. Aug 16, 2007 #17
    Hypatia is right! I believe the situation was concisely explained in the movie. The new guy asks how all the money needed to funds the secret MiB stuff could possibly have eluded congressional oversight. The old guy replies "you really think the army pays a million dollars per screwdriver?" If this does not prove the presence of extra-terrestrials on Earth...

EDIT: Yeah, or maybe "Independence Day"... Memory, flaky... Whack, not quite in...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  19. Aug 16, 2007 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Unfortunately, this kind of "accounting error" is not a cover for funding for some nice projects. It is "sugar" for some well-connected crooks that want to scam the US government for every penny they can get. The GOP mouthpieces keep shrieking about how they want "smaller government" and wants to get "government off the backs of the taxpayers" and they relentlessly feed these crooks and creeps that suck billions off our tax dollars every year. This is not confined to the Republican party, nor is it uncommon. Our entire government has been sold to the oligarchs running this country.

20. Aug 17, 2007 #19

Danger

Gold Member

I believe that it was George Carlin who pointed out that the most blatent oxymoron in the English language is 'Military Intelligence'.

Bite your tongue, you blathering lunatic! We were not 'created'; we evolved. :grumpy:

21. Aug 17, 2007 #20

Aether

Gold Member

Sometimes, like when you need your parts delivered promptly by parachute drop from a cruise missile (TomahawkExpress) for example, the delivery costs can be rather high.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?