The word "people" - how to spell and pronounce?

  • Thread starter Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
7,800
Reaction score
2,202
I tried a websearch and to read about the spelling and pronunce of "people". What a mess!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean "pee-pull" versus "pee-pole" versus "pee-p<schwa>l"?

I haven't been around British peeps enough to be aware of a difference, but I'm not surprised that there apparently is one. :wink:
 
Frankly, I don't see where the mess is supposed to be here. The pronunciation is consistent across the main accents, with only slight difference in the length of the first vowel.

Where have you been looking that it gave you such an impression?

And how is spelling at all an issue?
 
  • Skeptical
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint and Hornbein
symbolipoint said:
I tried a websearch and to read about the spelling and pronunce of "people". What a mess!
Pee-pull.

I'm NW UK and was thinking of how a Southerner might say it differently.

The Chorus of Park life is very south, Blur. It's still pee-pull.