Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF PHOTO CONTEST - Chiaroscuro (Aug 2 - Aug 9)

1. Aug 2, 2009 #1
    Note: Matthyaouw is offline for sometime due to technical problems and I offered to take over until he is back.

Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro(italian) is a term in art for a contrast between light and dark. An another form is Rembrandt lighting. So this week, it is about the nicest picture of any brightly lit subject against a dark background.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2009 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Aug 2, 2009 #3
    My entry.

Attached Files:

5. Aug 3, 2009 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

DSCR-0809.jpg

- Warren

6. Aug 3, 2009 #5

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Phew, I think my computer is in full working order again. Thanks Andre!

Can you upload your photo to an external server such as www.photobucket.com[/url] or [url]www.imageshack.us[/URL] then post it to the thread please?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Aug 3, 2009 #6
    Rembrandt lighting, eh? So photo tweaking is not allowed, but professional photography lighting rigs are recommended for entry?

Anyway, Warren, nice color, composition and focus on that one

8. Aug 3, 2009 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, junglebeast. brewnog, awesome photo, man! I love the sharp edges and the soft, rounded glow on the wall.

- Warren

9. Aug 3, 2009 #8

turbo

Gold Member

A blue-flag iris in the shaded frog-pond near my garden.

iris_cont.jpg

10. Aug 3, 2009 #9
    Ah, I hate choosing..and I hate downsizing...sucks the life right out of a picture!

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7296/palms.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Aug 3, 2009 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, junglebeast, does your photo fit the category?

Andre wrote "brightly lit subject against a dark background," but does a brightly lit background, even if it is the subject, fit?

- Warren

12. Aug 3, 2009 #11
    The definition of Chiaroscuro makes no mention of the subject needing to be bright on a dark background -- it speaks only of overall contrast between light and dark in the image.

Since the topic is entitled "Chiaroscuro," I think it conforms. However if we are instead going with "bright subject on dark background," then brewnog's and topher's don't really fit. And of course nobody's fits with Rembrandt lighting.

Whatever. It's just a game, and I'm not going to win anyway.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  13. Aug 3, 2009 #12
    See? This is what happens when you have a polysyllabic photo contest theme. :wink:

Notwithstanding that, I really like all of the entries so far. Very interesting uses of light.

14. Aug 3, 2009 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eh, you guys are right. Someone harped on me a while back for posting a photo that was, in a sense, not appropriate for the category, so now I'm just unnecessarily passing the buck. It didn't make me feel good when it was done to me, so it's a little eerie that I so readily did it to you, junglebeast. My apologies.

- Warren

15. Aug 3, 2009 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since I recently digitized the family slides, for the first time in 30 years I have access to some of my old 35mm shots from vacations and the like. I wasn't sure if this qualified, but now it sounds like it does.

- entry withdrawn -

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  16. Aug 4, 2009 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, I have a few pictures that might qualify, but now, I'm not sure what the "official" policy is. And I don't go by with the title, I go by with the more descriptive requirement for the contest.

So is it lighted subject in front of a dark background only? Or does it also includes a more general dark-light contrast? I really don't care either way, but it would be nice to have a confirmation one way or the other.

Zz.

17. Aug 4, 2009 #16

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Whether the strict definition of the term or not, Andre wrote:
    So in my eyes the last 2 entries do not fit the theme even though they are both nice pictures. The first ones do fit.

18. Aug 4, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

However, the theme is Chiaroscuro.

19. Aug 4, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  20. Aug 4, 2009 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

".... brightly lit subject against a dark background...."

img6481b.jpg

Zz.

21. Aug 6, 2009 #20

matthyaouw

Gold Member

*bump* any more? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook