Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Photo Contest-Different Names, Mean The Same (4/15-4/21)

1. Apr 15, 2017 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Different Names, Mean The Same

There are many objects or activities that often have more than one name. Often different parts of the world refer to the same entity or activity using different names. One example is an "elevator" in the US is called "lift" in the UK.

Your photo must have, as its main subject, the object or activity having that property of having more than one name. Please note that the different names must be used in the same language. So a "tongue" in English and "lengua" in Spanish does not qualify. The language used is not restricted only to English.

Please include the different names of your subject with your photo.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2017 #2

BillTre

Science Advisor

You might want to rule out names of plants, animals, and fungi since many have common names and all have scientific names, such as dog and Canis familiaris.
    This might be too easy.

4. Apr 15, 2017 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I considered those scientific names to be in latin, so that is technically a different language, even though they are used in English language sentences. But if it needs to be explicitly ruled out, then so be it.

Unfortunately, I missed the different names here. What are the different names being associated with your subject, as required in the contest?

Zz.

5. Apr 15, 2017 #4

BillTre

Science Advisor

Sounds good to me.

However, not all scientific names are Latin. Many are Greek, a mix, or Latinized or Greekized names (such as Aptostichus barackobamai or Neopalpa donaldtrumpi).
    I would just call them scientific, which I consider international.

6. Apr 15, 2017 #5
    Here's what I think zz is talking about:

Dividers/compasses (also,coincidentally, scissors/sheers):

Doublenyms_zpswnbgqhmt.jpg

7. Apr 16, 2017 #6
    A young girl/maiden holding a wineglass/goblet with some wine/champaigne.
    Behind, a mirror / looking-glass is seen.
    uzoEl.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  8. Apr 16, 2017 #7
    A wallet/billfold/purse/notecase (with banknotes/notes/bills).
    33910656402_301f87e986_z.jpg

9. Apr 16, 2017 #8

BillTre

Science Advisor

An impressive series of double meanings and a very cute picture of a human/Homo sapiens.

10. Apr 16, 2017 #9

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pedal and petal.
    I think I interpreted the rules wrong. Go ahead and delete my post.

[edit: Although.... In the background I see a pair of rubbish bins and a post box. Garbage cans and a mail box for us yanks. I think I skipped them as subjects as they are not very photogenic.]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  11. Apr 16, 2017 #10

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Streetcar / trolley / tram:

samename.jpg

12. Apr 16, 2017 #11
    I took that picture/photo with an Eastman/Kodak camera.

13. Apr 17, 2017 #12

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

as BillTre said, an impressive set, tho I would deny one of them .... wine/champagne .... champagne is just a variety/type of wine :wink:

14. Apr 17, 2017 #13

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In New Zealand I grew up calling each building floor ... 1st floor, 2nd floor etc
    In Australia I had to reprogram myself to use Level 1, Level 2 etc

Floor/Level

2014_05_21_1022sm.jpg

15. Apr 17, 2017 #14

BillTre

Science Advisor

In some places it would be ground floor, 1st floor, 2nd floor, etc.

16. Apr 18, 2017 #15
    You got me started with that post, BillTre :smile:, but I had to consult Wikipedia for some biology terms... (not double meanings, but anyway)

Human/Homo sapiens/Homo/Hominidae/Haplorhini/Primate/Mammal/Animal/Opisthokont/Eukaryote (hope I got it right)

Can we go chemical and physical also?

Complex atomic configuration/Massive group of localized particles/quantum fields excitations
    (maybe this is overdoing it, but I could not help myself, and this is PF :biggrin:)

17. Apr 18, 2017 #16

DrClaude

Also, nice cat/puss.

18. Apr 18, 2017 #17

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Money/cash/coins/moolah/bread/gravy/cheddar/stacks/loot/bucks/lettuce/dough/currency/legal tender/scratch/[etc.]

DSC_8080-1_zpsfqoptnof.jpg

19. Apr 19, 2017 #18

jtbell

Actually, I think "lettuce" refers specifically to the green folding stuff. :oldwink:

20. Apr 20, 2017 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Cookies in the US, biscuits in the UK and many other parts of the world.

IMG_4431.JPG
    Zz.

21. Apr 21, 2017 #20

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Final/last day to submit your photo for this contest (did you see/notice what I did there?).

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted