Photo Contest - Panorama (10/4 - 10/10)

In summary, the theme of the photo contest is "Panorama" and submissions can be made through the designated form on the website or through social media with a specific hashtag. There are no restrictions on the type of camera or editing software used, but all photos must be original. Participants can submit up to three unique photos. The winner will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme and will be announced on the contest website and social media platforms.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Panorama

For this contest only, we will relax one aspect of photo editing that is prohibited in our contest. You are allowed to use whatever means you have to produce a panoramic photo. This may be a photo-stitching program or using your own photo-taking device to produce such a photo. The subject of your photo can be anything.

Please be mindful of the size limit in terms of the dimension of the photo that you submit for the contest.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zapper, it's nice to see you're back here!
I definitely have a photo in mind, but I have two questions:

1. Do you mean we have to produce a panorama photo NOW, or may we use a photo/photos we already have?
2. I've posted a small version of the photo in another PF thread a couple of months ago (not any contest thread) - this would not disqualify my entry, right?

DennisN said:
Hi Zapper, it's nice to see you're back here!
I definitely have a photo in mind, but I have two questions:

1. Do you mean we have to produce a panorama photo NOW, or may we use a photo/photos we already have?

You may use the ones you already have.

2. I've posted a small version of the photo in another PF thread a couple of months ago (not any contest thread) - this would not disqualify my entry, right?

If it hasn't been used in our photo contest, it qualifies.

Zz.

Manhattan taken from an apartment I used to have in Jersey City, NJ

The actual pic is MUCH more impressive than this since it it 20 times bigger and shows terrific detail. Taken in 2005.

_stitched 19.jpg

For example, this is one little section of it, showing the BMW building (the black one) where I was working at the time. This is about 1/3rd of the way from the left edge of the stitched pic.

_stitched 19a.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Medicol
ZapperZ said:
You may use the ones you already have.

If it hasn't been used in our photo contest, it qualifies.

Zz.
Thanks, Zz, I will post a photo later.

phinds said:
Manhattan taken from an apartment I used to have in Jersey City, NJ
Very nice!

A giant rainbow, with partly double rainbows, photographed on 20th June this year. Photo taken from my balcony. Approximately true colors, if I remember correctly. It was a very "red" morning, with weird light. I looked out my window by chance and almost couldn't believe my eyes - it's the largest rainbow I've seen. I had to take 5 photos to fit the entire rainbow into the camera screen.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x425q90/r/631/5UFQOR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes fireflies and Medicol
phinds said:
The actual pic is MUCH more impressive

That'll be the problem with most panoramas. I have some terrific ones, but when posted as just a thumbnail they will look dull :(

Interesting topic... need to think about this a bit.

Jelsa

marzena_panorama.jpg

Likes Medicol
IMG_0056_zpsc62e8c90.jpg

Zz.

Likes Medicol
15292630609_9e7a4d8e42_c.jpg

HT/Media room

Likes Medicol
Final day to submit your panoramic shots.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Panorama", which means capturing a wide and expansive view in a single photograph.

2. How do I enter the photo contest?

To enter the photo contest, you can submit your photo through the designated submission form on the contest website or through social media using the designated hashtag.

3. Are there any restrictions on the type of camera or editing software I can use?

No, there are no restrictions on the type of camera or editing software you can use. However, all photos must be original and not previously published or submitted to any other contests.

4. Can I submit more than one photo to the contest?

Yes, you can submit up to three photos to the contest. However, each photo must be unique and not a duplicate of any other submissions.

5. How will the winner be selected?

The winner will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The winner will be announced on the contest website and social media platforms.