Photo Contest - Panorama (12/29-1/3)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "Panorama" and submissions should showcase a wide or expansive view. To submit a photo, follow the instructions in the contest announcement and provide contact information and a brief description. There are no restrictions on camera or editing software, but extreme edits may not be accepted. Multiple submissions are allowed, but they should be unique and follow the theme. Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and quality, and will be announced on a specified date. Participants will be notified via email or through the designated platform.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Panorama

I don't think we have had this theme since the photo size limit was removed from the contest rules. So here it this theme once again.

Submit a photo that made use of the panorama shooting mode on your camera or mobile devices, or from using a photo-stitching function. Please note that while there is no size limit for this contest, there is a file size limit for uploading to PF.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
View facing (mainly) North from the Necromanteion in Epirus, Greece.
Panorama.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Borg, morrobay and JBA
Likes Borg, Marzena and phinds
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/254852 - removed, see following posts
A bunch of logs at an outflow from the Olympic peninsula into the pacific.
Small version, used about 30 shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Likes Borg and BillTre
Maybe I haven't used this one already:

Gorge 02.jpg

Columbia river gorge, looking downstream.

Likes Borg, Marzena, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
Night panorama of harbour and city, Helsingborg, Sweden.
(16 combined photos)
I recently took it at about this location. Larger versions are here.
49296599442_a22cfb6c77_c.jpg

Likes Borg, Rubidium_71, morrobay and 4 others
Lake Victoria from hotel in Uganda (2016)
DSCF4293sm.jpg

Likes Borg and Rubidium_71
West Side Market in Cleveland Ohio:
DSC_9947 - DSC_9949 copy 3-2.jpg

Likes Borg, davenn, JBA and 3 others
On Maersk Line passenger freighter: Long Beach, CA to Kaohsiung , Taiwan

CCF3119-00000.jpg

Likes Borg
Inca Ceremonial Sacred Valley above Cusco, Peru which is (barely) seen in the far distance in the left end of the photo
Sacred Valley Panorama.jpg

• Love
Likes Borg, DennisN, davenn and 1 other person
Overlooking the Yosemite valley from Glacier Point
20160719_100119.jpg

Likes Borg, Marzena, JBA and 2 others
ZapperZ said:
a photo-stitching function
Does that mean only photo-stitching built into a camera's computer?

Keith_McClary said:
Does that mean only photo-stitching built into a camera's computer?

No. Any photo resulting from photostitching program or apps qualifies.

Zz.

Hi Y'all:

I am sorry to say that I am a bit disappointed in that none of photos so far appear to have captured a 360 degree presentation of a scene, which is my favorite type of "panoramic" view. I am not a photogerapher, but a friend of mind has captured several such scenes. However, I doubt that I will be able to convince him to submit one to the contest.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Y'all:

I am sorry to say that I am a bit disappointed in that none of photos so far appear to have captured a 360 degree presentation of a scene, which is my favorite type of "panoramic" view. I am not a photogerapher, but a friend of mind has captured several such scenes. However, I doubt that I will be able to convince him to submit one to the contest.

Regards,
Buzz

I'm glad that you are following the photo contest. I must, however, ask you to refrain from criticizing or putting down photo submissions in here. If you don't see something you like, I respectfully ask you to keep it to yourself.

Zz.

Las Vegas 2018.jpg

Likes Borg, BillTre and berkeman
IMG_7212.JPG

Zz.

Likes Borg and BillTre
IMG_2327_stitch-small-main.jpg

Likes jtbell, Borg, Marzena and 3 others
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

PANO_20191225_180747.jpg

1. What is a panorama photo?

A panorama photo is an image that captures a wide, panoramic view of a landscape or cityscape. It typically has a wide aspect ratio and captures a 180-degree or even 360-degree view, giving the viewer a sense of being immersed in the scene.

2. How do I take a panorama photo?

To take a panorama photo, you can use a camera or a smartphone with a panorama mode. Simply select the panorama mode and follow the instructions to slowly pan your device from left to right (or vice versa) while keeping the camera steady. The device will automatically stitch together multiple photos to create a panoramic image.

3. What makes a good panorama photo?

A good panorama photo should have a clear and well-defined subject that leads the viewer's eye through the entire image. It should also have a balanced composition, with a mix of foreground, middle ground, and background elements. Lighting and color also play a crucial role in creating a visually appealing panorama photo.

4. What are some tips for editing panorama photos?

When editing a panorama photo, it is important to use specialized software or apps that can handle the wide aspect ratio and stitching of multiple images. It's also helpful to straighten and crop the image to remove any distortion. Other adjustments, such as contrast, saturation, and sharpness, can also enhance the overall look of the photo.

5. How can I participate in the photo contest?

To participate in the photo contest, you can submit your panorama photo through the designated submission form during the specified timeframe. Make sure to read and follow the contest rules and guidelines carefully to ensure your entry is eligible. The winner will be chosen based on creativity, technical skill, and overall impact of the photo.