Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF PHOTO CONTEST - People, People Who Need People (3/24-3/30)

1. Mar 24, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

People, People Who Need People

Our theme this week is on people. Your picture must have plenty of people in it - at least 10.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2007 #2
    The only time I take pictures of people is when they get in the way.......
    [​IMG]

4. Mar 24, 2007 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Like larkspur, I rarely take any pictures with groups of people. In fact, I routinely avoid groups of people to reduce the chances of having a bad reaction to fragrances. Here is one that fits the "people who need people" thing, though. On the Sunday after Labor Day every year, we in the United Bikers of Maine team up with the Marines' Toys for Tots program and stage an annual Toy Run. It's the largest charity event in the state, with tens of thousands of bikers descending on the state capitol to donate toys and money to the Salvation Army so they can give needy kids a few nice things at Christmas. My wife and I try to avoid the stuffed-toy trend so we can concentrate on older kids. One year we gave portable CD players with rechargeable batteries and chargers, one year we gave sleeping bags and board games (good for sleep-overs, but those winter-weight bags are also pretty nice for kids who are sleeping in cold bedrooms). Every year we try to come up with something new. The only reason I took this picture, in fact, is that the lady on the Dyna with the purple flip-flop paint is a friend and is secretary of our local UBM chapter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  5. Mar 24, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...tough finding photos with that many people. I had one photo that was one person short (unless I got to count my cousin's pregnant wife as 2 people :biggrin:), so had to resort to this one. It's not a great photo, but it seems to fit the theme...it's from my second cousin's wedding.

[​IMG]

6. Mar 24, 2007 #5

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A group of Tibetan monks taking a stroll through downtown Portland. (only Five monks, but counting the people in the background...)

[​IMG]

7. Mar 24, 2007 #6
    Little people need people too

[​IMG]

8. Mar 24, 2007 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The picture does not qualify per the criteria stated in the first post.

Zz.

9. Mar 24, 2007 #8

Mk

Sorry about that, thought it said 5 :blushing:

10. Mar 26, 2007 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This was an easy place to find a LOT of people.

[​IMG]

Zz.

11. Mar 27, 2007 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cripes, in order to meet the requirements, I would have to assemble the whole town. :biggrin:

12. Mar 27, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I live 'way out in the boonies and I have probably 20 people living within a mile of here. I could probably assemble 10 of them by heading up to my neighbor's range and engaging in a little target practice. "What'cha shooting?" "Sounds like hot loads." "Pretty tight groups." "Ever try the Speers boattails?" Around here, the sound of target practice draws interested neighbors like the smells of a BBQs draws dogs.

13. Mar 27, 2007 #12
    edit: hold on I don't know that this is allowed because I didn't really take the photo, let me ask Zz.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  14. Mar 27, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you didn't take the photo, then no, not allowed. You must be the photographer to enter it.

15. Mar 28, 2007 #14
    Well here is my entry, nothing as good as what has been entered already but i feel like I should enter something and what better place to meet people than at the bike show!!!!!

[​IMG]

16. Mar 28, 2007 #15
    I think that guy is the boy in the fronts father. They both have big ears and forhead. :rofl:

17. Mar 28, 2007 #16
    Dogs need people, too.
    [​IMG]

This was taken two years ago in Paris, I think.
    You can imagine the noise my head made on the table when I finally saw that the pic was not quite in focus.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  18. Mar 28, 2007 #17
    I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share this gem. Look what I espied through the trees at the park - live action role players!

[​IMG]

19. Mar 28, 2007 #18

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Scorpa, that is so butch! :)

Zz.

20. Mar 28, 2007 #19

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like you ran across a SCA(Society for Creative Anachronism) gathering.

21. Mar 28, 2007 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Why are we the only ones with lots of bike pictures. Are we the only "normal" photographers here?:rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?