PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try SCIENCE (Nov 22-29)

In summary: I'll have to go look for it now!In summary, pictures of science-related objects and equipment are being accepted for submission. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels, and crop if necessary. Only one picture per member per contest. At the end of the contest period, a poll will be opened in which members can vote for their favorite picture.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Stand back, I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Science-related pictures please. I know there's been a similar theme before, but as a science forum, I think we should be able to muster up some more science pictures. Please add a description with your photo, just so that we know what we're seeing

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
2403150129_d43d012913.jpg

This was taken with a camera attachment for a petrological microscope. The slide is a thin section of carboniferous limestone viewed under cross-polarised light. You're looking at three brachiopod fragments. There has been pressure dissolution along the grain contacts. The triangle in the centre was a cavity between the shells which has been infilled with a calcite cement.

I'm so unoriginal that I'll probably take a picture of a beaker.

Gah just last week we did DNA fingerprinting in forensics! Gah I could have gotten a good one of somebody using a micropipette loading samples into a gel...

Of course this is during the 1 week this entire semester during which I don't have lab... I'll figure something out. I need to start entering these contests.

EDIT: I do own the "Stand back! I am going to try SCIENCE" xkcd shirt... I need get some beakers and wear said shirt.

Hmmph...I just spent the weekend with a camera in the lab and NOW I see this. None of the photos I'm taking are suitable to be shared online (they're all anatomy photos and it would be inappropriate to post them here...though I have some really cool detail shots). But, if I noticed this sooner, I could have gotten an appropriate photo suitable for sharing.

So far it appears that matthyaouw is going to win given that he's the only one with an actual photo entry. :biggrin:

Last edited:
GeorginaS said:
So far it appears that matthyaouw is going to win given that he's the only one with an actual photo entry. :biggrin:

Contest started yesterday ;)

These are the inductor coils for our pulse forming network (PFN) that sends its signal to the klystron. There's a bank of capacitors right behind the coils.

img2837tu1.jpg

Zz.

Anyone else? At this rate, at least we're certain to come either first or second ZZ!

This is a huge I-joist tested at my work. Force is applied to the top, and load and deflection are measured until it fails.

When these things finally break, you wouldn't believe the BANG! It's like a cannon going off!

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5706/ijoisten3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't you used that one before Turbo? Or maybe that was just in the photography thread...I know I've seen this pic SOMEWHERE before though.

binzing said:
Haven't you used that one before Turbo? Or maybe that was just in the photography thread...I know I've seen this pic SOMEWHERE before though.
Oh, wow! I hope I haven't used it in a contest thread. If I have, I'll withdraw it, certainly.

edit: Borek found it in the "Path of Least Resistance" contest, so it's a goner.

Last edited:
I bet it was only in the photography thread or perhaps when you and I were discussing effects pedals and such (speaking of which I just got the kit to make my first one for a former science teacher/ guitar player)

binzing said:
I bet it was only in the photography thread or perhaps when you and I were discussing effects pedals and such (speaking of which I just got the kit to make my first one for a former science teacher/ guitar player)
That's not much of a photo, so probably not a photography thread. More likely, it was during a discussion of amps and effects, as you say.

ZZ will know for sure, when he checks in again.

marzena_science.jpg

Info by Borek: neurobiological (EEG based) research of dyslexia, Marzena was involved in preselection of experimental and control group.

The science of fun!
IMG_7419-1.jpg

Iris transillumination defect is a tell tale sign of albinism.
3061880555_0bec4d81fb_o.jpg

Last edited:
Picture131a.jpg

PIN diode for measuring laser pulse width.

Nice entries so far. You've got til saturday to get any more in.

zk62km.jpg

A fresh paleontologic harvest
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/290/5499/2062 elaborating about the paleontologic treasures of the North Sea, mammoths, aurochs, horses, straight tusked elephants, rhino's, lions, etc, etc, caught by the fishing trawlers and cutters while fishing for sole and plaice.

The determination and dating of the remains have contributed to a highly detailed image of the mammoth steppe of the North Sea throughout the Pleistocene.

Last edited:
Integral said:
Picture131a.jpg

YAG or Argon ion?

Sorry to kill your try Turbo!

binzing said:
Sorry to kill your try Turbo!
Thanks for catching it. I post a lot of images, and it's hard for me to remember when and where I did so. I should make a habit of searching the forum using the file-names of the images to see if I can find previous attachments.

Redbelly98 said:
YAG or Argon ion?

http://www.cohr.com/" Avia532-45

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral I disagree with your sig. it should be "A politician is a lawyer gone worse." lol

1. What is the purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try SCIENCE?

The purpose of this contest is to encourage individuals to use their creativity and scientific knowledge to capture and share their unique perspective on science through photography.

2. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try SCIENCE?

This contest is open to anyone who has an interest in science and photography. It is not limited to professional scientists or photographers.

3. How do I submit my photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try SCIENCE?

To submit your photo, simply post it on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) with the hashtag #PFPhotoContest and tag our official account @PFPhotoContest. Make sure your post is public so we can see your entry.

4. What are the judging criteria for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try SCIENCE?

The judging criteria include creativity, scientific relevance, and overall aesthetic appeal. We will also consider the caption or description accompanying the photo.

5. What can I win in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try SCIENCE?

The winner of the contest will receive a cash prize of $500 and their photo will be featured on our website and social media accounts. The top 10 photos will also be showcased in a virtual gallery.