PF PHOTO CONTEST - Things Are Looking Up (4/5-4/11)

In summary: of the photo and how the contrast of the blue sky against the white clouds is really nice.i also like the use of light and shadows in this photo.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Things Are Looking Up

This week, it will be all about things that you can typically see only by looking up!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
IMG_7390-1.jpg

The Canadian Thunderbirds from Moose Jaw?

2333530956_274386aae1.jpg

The mast/lamp of the Spurn lightship

Nope, Snowbirds at the C.N.E. Close tho.

My bad, thunderbirds are USAF. I meant to say Snowbirds, been there, during my pilot training at Moose Jaw on the tutor CF134 in 1978.

Last edited:
http://bikeflat.com/albums/uther/Clouds.sized.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
_DSC0016-1.jpg

chased after redtail and pointed lens up at it

matthyaouw said:

That's beautiful!

~christina~ said:
_DSC0016-1.jpg

And I'm a sucker for birds.

alex caps said:
http://bikeflat.com/albums/uther/Clouds.sized.jpg [Broken]
[/URL]

I like this because sometimes I'll lay on my back on the grass and look up at the clouds. They seem like they are impossibly far away if you hold your hand out and try to touch them. This picture gives me that same feeling.

Another nice thing is to watch the clouds go by when your laying on your back. You don't realize how fast they move until you try this. They go upwards of 30KTS sometimes.

~christina~ said:
_DSC0016-1.jpg

nice---but it's not-a-goshawk

Guess Where?

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9093/capetown1sa1.jpg [Broken]​
[/URL]

Cuernavaca?

Cape Town :smile:

2397660424_e1831bc148_o.jpg

matthyaouw said:

Wow, that's awesome

Experimenting with 100-400mm zoom.
moon-2.jpg

09_altocum_bands_hhd.jpg

My Popcorn clouds

Oy... I don't think I have a chance against these amazing pictures, but here's mine anyhow. It's one of the African Masai shields chandelier at Animal Kingdom Lodge. You really have to look vertically up to get this view.

img0363vo0.jpg

Zz.

IMG_2586.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7785/lg2df6.jpg [Broken]

Holy cow!

The voting for this contest is going to be brutal!

Zz.

You have less than 2 days left to look up and submit a photo for this contest - if you dare! So far, the pictures submitted have been outstanding.

Zz.

!So Close!

1 more hour?! Watch someone post the best photo you have ever seen.

Cyrus said:
I like this because sometimes I'll lay on my back on the grass and look up at the clouds. They seem like they are impossibly far away if you hold your hand out and try to touch them. This picture gives me that same feeling.

Another nice thing is to watch the clouds go by when your laying on your back. You don't realize how fast they move until you try this. They go upwards of 30KTS sometimes.

i agree with cyrus, i like how the clouds part in the very middle

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST for this week?

The theme for this week's PF PHOTO CONTEST is "Things Are Looking Up".

2. How long do I have to enter the contest?

The contest will run from April 5th to April 11th, giving you a full week to submit your photo.

3. Can I submit more than one photo?

Yes, you can submit up to five photos for the contest. However, each photo must be unique and follow the contest theme.

4. Who can enter the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

Anyone can enter the contest, as long as they are 18 years or older and follow the rules and guidelines provided by the contest organizers.

5. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, quality, and adherence to the theme. The winner will be announced on the PF PHOTO CONTEST website and social media pages.