Photo Contest - View To A Drive (4/18-4/24)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "View To A Drive" and is open to both amateur and professional photographers. Participants can submit up to 3 photos, but only one will be selected as a winner. The photos will be judged based on creativity, composition, relevance to the theme, and technical aspects. The winners will be announced on April 24th and notified via email, with their winning photos featured on the contest website and social media pages.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
View To A Drive

This week, the main subject of your photo must be the view that you see outside of your vehicle while it is in motion. This vehicle may be an automobile, a bus, a van, etc. It must be a vehicle moving on the ground, so a view from an airplane window does not qualify. It must also be a powered vehicle, so a view while you're riding a bicycle does not count.

NOTE: It must not be taken while you are driving, and therefore, a view from the driver's seat will be disqualified. Any photo that is perceived to be taken by breaking the local driving/road laws will also be disqualified.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
DSCN6987.jpeg

In the Swiss Alps.

• Love
Likes DennisN, jtbell, davenn and 2 others
IMG_1052.JPG

Funnel cloud in Calgary, Alberta, that touched down on Tsuu T'ina Reserve. Taken from a bus. As the cloud was forming a man on the bus exclaimed: "I'm from Oklahoma, lived there for 30 years, that's a tornado!". We rarely if ever get tornadoes in the foothills.

• Wow
  • Love
Likes DennisN, mathwonk, jtbell and 5 others
I have a movie shot while driving with head mounted GoPro. Perfectly safe, no laws broken. Just saying.

Likes jrolon4, Wrichik Basu, davenn and 1 other person
Lake Baikal along a scenic spur of the Trans Siberian.
trainview---1.jpg

Likes jrolon4, jtbell, morrobay and 5 others
20200411_195802.jpg

Gotta love pink afternoon skies 😍

Likes mathwonk and morrobay
Mondayman said:
View attachment 260907
Funnel cloud in Calgary, Alberta, that touched down on Tsuu T'ina Reserve. Taken from a bus. As the cloud was forming a man on the bus exclaimed: "I'm from Oklahoma, lived there for 30 years, that's a tornado!". We rarely if ever get tornadoes in the foothills.
😲😲 Wow! that's incredible! The first tornado I ever saw was a twin tornado in Missouri! It was so mesmerizing! I wanted to stay outside and watch it forever until I thought of the flying monkeys in Wizard of oz 😬

• Haha
Likes Klystron
An unplanned exposure from a taxi cab just as we took off into traffic.

in motion.jpg

Likes morrobay
Ahhhh, I have a lot of contenders, but here's a nice one from Turkey. Speedy shutter.
3N3A9457.jpg

Likes morrobay, Klystron, berkeman and 1 other person
From the front passenger seat of a bus, on the Overseas Highway (US 1) to Key West, Florida.

drive.jpg

• Love
Likes DennisN, Klystron, DrClaude and 5 others
DSC02216 copy.jpg

• Love
Likes DennisN, Klystron, davenn and 2 others
I'm helping @morrobay again this week to post his picture, since he still is having pandemic-related Internet access issues.

Topic -- Along The River Kwai

Morrobay Driving Picture 21.04.2020.jpg

Likes Klystron, ETsmyhomeboy, morrobay and 2 others
Andy Resnick said:
Did you also have blue lights flashing in your rear-view mirror? :smile:

Likes Andy Resnick
IMG_3938.JPG

Zz.

• Love
  • Wow
Likes DennisN and Klystron
Yikes! It doesn't look like a Monorail, but I'm guessing that is from one of the Disney parks? :smile:

berkeman said:
Yikes! It doesn't look like a Monorail, but I'm guessing that is from one of the Disney parks? :smile:

That's Test Track at Epcot.

Zz.

Taken from a boat in motion. Unsure if this complies with rules. If not, please DQ.
DSCN1423 (2).JPG

• Love
Likes DennisN, jtbell, Klystron and 6 others
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

Pickering to Whitby heritage railway.

They claim there was a railway station at Pickering before there was one in London. But looking into this it seems the trains were horse-drawn. Still steam trains were there not long after.

fullsizeoutput_1351.jpeg

• Love
Likes DennisN and BillTre
view from the passenger's seat of a car turning the corner at the entrance to Poulsbo, WA, at the viking "velkommen til poulsbo" statue:
IMG_2239-5.jpg

Last edited:
Likes epenguin, jrolon4, Borg and 1 other person
mathwonk said:
view from the passenger's seat of a car turning the corner at the entrance to Poulsbo, WA, at the viking "velkommen til poulsbo" statue:
Taken during the epidemic I see, and someone still has the Viking spirit.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "View To A Drive". This means that participants are asked to submit photos that capture the view from a car, whether it be a scenic road trip, a daily commute, or anything in between.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who has a passion for photography and a love for driving. There are no age or location restrictions for participants.

3. How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo, you must first follow the contest's official page on social media. Then, you can either post your photo with the hashtag #ViewToADrive or send a direct message with your photo to the page. Make sure to include your name and contact information in the message.

4. What type of photos are allowed in the contest?

Any photos that capture a view from a drive are allowed in the contest. This can include landscapes, cityscapes, or even photos taken from inside the car. However, photos that contain inappropriate or offensive content will not be accepted.

5. How will the winner be selected?

The winner will be selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, originality, and overall quality of the photo. The judges' decision will be final and cannot be appealed.