Photo Contest - Water, Water, Everywhere (1/6-1/12)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "Water, Water, Everywhere" and is open for submissions from January 6th to January 12th. There are no restrictions on the type of camera or editing software used, and each participant can submit up to three unique photos. The winners will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and how well the photo fits the theme. The judges' decision is final and cannot be contested.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
{Hope everyone is voting for the contest to win Orodruin's book}

Water, Water, Everywhere!

We are back with our regularly-scheduled photo contest. Anyone missed me?

As a reminder, IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE CONTEST, please, please, please read the contest rules before participating. We welcome new participants very much, but I'm sure it is discouraging for all parties if your submission has to be disqualified. This is a photo contest of photos taken by you, not by someone else. So please always keep that in mind.

The subject this week is all about water, H2O. Water must be the main subject of your photo.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes AlexCaledin
Physics news on Phys.org
5be97c15_o.jpg

Attachments

• 5be97c15_o.jpg
    5be97c15_o.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Likes CWatters, DennisN, jim mcnamara and 2 others
IMG_20171218_171653.jpg

Corniche, Qatar

Attachments

• IMG_20171218_171653.jpg
    IMG_20171218_171653.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 391
Likes berkeman, BillTre and AlexCaledin
About 3 m under the surface looking up at the Sun through my exhaust bubbles.
bubble.JPG

Attachments

• bubble.JPG
    bubble.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 779
Likes CWatters, fresh_42 and AlexCaledin
Orodruin said:
About 3 m under the surface looking up at the Sun through my exhaust bubbles.
View attachment 218058
Do you by any chance scuba dive? Getting such a perfect picture with focus like that would take time underwater.

lekh2003 said:
Do you by any chance scuba dive? Getting such a perfect picture with focus like that would take time underwater.
From time to time. Less than I would like. The picture is from 4 years ago at Isla de Benidorm, Spain, which unfortunately was the last time I had a chance to go diving.

Unfortunately, I missed my chance for snapping a picture of a sunfish as I left the camera on land for that dive ... :frown:

Orodruin said:
From time to time. Less than I would like. The picture is from 4 years ago at Isla de Benidorm, Spain, which unfortunately was the last time I had a chance to go diving.

Unfortunately, I missed my chance for snapping a picture of a sunfish as I left the camera on land for that dive ... :frown:
I'm midway through my AOW course. However, I'm diving in Qatar where the visibility is a little more than a meter so pictures are a fantasy.

Lake Fountain 2008.jpg

Attachments

• Lake Fountain 2008.jpg
    Lake Fountain 2008.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 329
Likes AlexCaledin and berkeman
lekh2003 said:
I'm midway through my AOW course. However, I'm diving in Qatar where the visibility is a little more than a meter so pictures are a fantasy.
Well, I did my original OW course in the Stockholm archipelago. Cold and limited sight. However, it was really a shame we did not have a camera at that point. Me and my father ended up in a school of herring on our last dive. When we told our instructor he became white in the face. It had happened to him twice in 20 years of essentially diving every weekend.

It is also too bad the rules only allow 800x600. Many of the dots you see in the photo are actually smaller bubbles visible in the original resolution.

Orodruin said:
Well, I did my original OW course in the Stockholm archipelago. Cold and limited sight.
Interesting. Did you use a drysuit? I'm doing a dive in the next few days and the temp is around 16 degrees, too hot for a drysuit. The problem with wetsuits is that I'm skinny and the wetsuit does not stick to my skin, so insulation goes away. I usually dive with a skinsuit and two wetsuits in winter here.
Orodruin said:
Me and my father ended up in a school of herring on our last dive.
The only interesting things I've seen yet are a nurse shark and sea turtle eating jellyfish (I know, not the most happeningo0)). My instructor coincidentally lost her camera on the day:frown:. I don't have much of my own equipment yet.

McGovern Lake fountain, in Hermann Park near the Houston Zoo.
qf6mjCG.png

Attachments

• qf6mjCG.png
    qf6mjCG.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 326
Likes AlexCaledin
Yes, do not adjust your eyes. The water was up to the roof line!

IMG_7940.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_7940.JPG
    IMG_7940.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 337
Likes AlexCaledin
ZapperZ said:
Yes, do not adjust your eyes. The water was up to the roof line!
Zz.
We were lucky that it only got up about 2 feet from the house during Harvey, but we know some people who flooded.

_DSC4402_zpswvjij0yn.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC4402_zpswvjij0yn.jpg
    _DSC4402_zpswvjij0yn.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 308
Likes AlexCaledin and fresh_42
IMG_20171101_195413693.jpg

Perhaps fog is a bit off topic.

Attachments

• IMG_20171101_195413693.jpg
    IMG_20171101_195413693.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 282
CWatters said:
Perhaps fog is a bit off topic.

Unfortunately, I should have been more explicit in the requirement for this contest, i.e. water in liquid form. I've learned, after so many years of running this contest, that often times, I have to be rather explicit in what is allowed. Otherwise, people will run with it in many different directions.

Since I didn't make myself clear in the very beginning, I will accept "water" in all its different phases for this contest.

Zz.

Likes Bystander
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Since I didn't make myself clear in the very beginning, I will accept "water" in all its different phases for this contest.
How about watermelons that are 92% water? o_O:wink:

lekh2003 said:
How about watermelons that are 92% water? o_O:wink:
Are watermelons a new phase of water? How does the phase diagram look?

Likes AlexCaledin
Orodruin said:
Are watermelons a new phase of water? How does the phase diagram look?
More complex, since the water interacts with several different proteins and molecules to reach its final ultimate watermelon form.

Now I think about it... isn't fog actually drops of water in the liquid phase?

Likes lekh2003 and fresh_42

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Water, Water, Everywhere". This means that the photos should focus on water in any form, such as oceans, lakes, rivers, waterfalls, rain, or even water droplets.

2. How long is the photo contest open for submissions?

The photo contest is open for submissions from January 6th to January 12th. Any photos submitted after the deadline will not be considered.

3. Are there any restrictions on the type of camera or editing software that can be used?

No, there are no restrictions on the type of camera or editing software that can be used to capture and edit the photos. Both professional and amateur photographers are welcome to participate.

4. Can I submit more than one photo?

Yes, each participant can submit up to three photos for the contest. However, each photo must be unique and not a duplicate of any other submissions.

5. How will the winners be selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and how well the photo captures the theme of "Water, Water, Everywhere". The judges' decision will be final and cannot be contested.