Photo Contest - What Is It? (7/4-7/10)

In summary, a photo contest is a competition where individuals can submit their photos for a chance to win a prize. To participate, one must find a contest that interests them and follow the submission guidelines. Age restrictions may vary depending on the contest, and prizes can range from cash to products. The acceptance of edited photos also depends on the specific contest rules.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
What Is It?

This week, we will try something a bit different, and there will be a greater involvement of the voting members.

Your task this week is to take a photo of an ordinary object, but in such a way that it is unusual and unrecognizable. You may, for instance, take an extreme close-up of a screwdriver head. Something that is common, but unrecognizable under such circumstances (snapping a photo under extreme low light does NOT count).

Please make sure that these are ordinary, common objects, not some unfamiliar or specialized tools or objects that most people have not encountered. Furthermore, you must take a photo of the object using an ordinary camera, and not using camera-enabled microscope or specialized imaging devices.

When you post your photo, you must send me a message to indicate what the object is. Do not post what the item is with your photo! Send it to me privately.

During the voting period, the voting members will have a chance to play along and guess what the items are. Both the winners of the photo contest, and the winners of identifying the items will be listed in the Photo Contest Winners thread!

Get it? Good!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes Lisa! and Enigman
Physics news on Phys.org
18792463964_3034d08feb_c_d.jpg

Cool topic! I will try to participate...:smile:

Minor clarification question: what is the functional difference between "extreme closeup" and "microscope"?

Andy Resnick said:
Minor clarification question: what is the functional difference between "extreme closeup" and "microscope"?

The instrument of choice. The limitation in this contest is the use of standard camera, rather than specialized instrument that can be found in laboratories, etc.

Zz.

marcin_what_is_it.jpg

Likes DennisN
19374910778_686edd6d1a_b.jpg

marzena_fun_of_the_mechanical_fan1.jpg

Final day to submit your photo for this contest. We have a very good group of photos so far!

Zz.

1. What is a photo contest?

A photo contest is a competition that invites individuals to submit their best photographs for a chance to win a prize. The photos are judged based on a specific theme or criteria, and the winner is chosen by a panel of judges or through public voting.

2. How do I participate in a photo contest?

To participate in a photo contest, you will need to find a contest that interests you and meets your skill level. Most contests have specific guidelines for submissions, such as theme, size requirements, and submission deadlines. Make sure to follow these guidelines carefully and submit your best photo for a chance to win.

3. Are there any age restrictions for participating in a photo contest?

This depends on the specific contest. Some photo contests may have age restrictions, while others may be open to all ages. It is important to read the rules and regulations of the contest before entering to ensure that you meet all the requirements.

4. What types of prizes can I win in a photo contest?

The prizes for a photo contest can vary. Some contests may offer cash prizes, while others may offer products, gift cards, or other types of rewards. The prize for a photo contest is typically determined by the host or sponsor of the contest.

5. Can I submit edited photos in a photo contest?

This also depends on the specific contest. Some photo contests may allow edited photos, while others may only accept unedited or minimally edited photos. It is important to carefully read the rules and regulations of the contest to ensure that your submission follows all guidelines.