PhD in Photonics: Queries from USA Student

In summary, the conversation discusses queries related to obtaining a Phd in photonics from universities in the USA. The best universities in photonics are not specified, but suggestions are given to research more options. The duration of a doctoral degree in the USA for international students is generally 3+ years and there is no difference in duration for international students. The cost of a Phd in the USA for international students varies from 20-40k per year in tuition. It is possible to work part-time during a Phd, but it is not recommended due to the amount of time and workload required for the degree. Some supervisors may also give additional work, limiting the time available for a part-time job.
vinzie
I have a few queries related to Phd in photonics from USA:

1)Which are the best universities in photonics?

2)How long will it take for obtaining a doctoral degree in USA for international students?

3)I have a dream to do Phd in photonics after obtaining Mtech in photonics here in India.

4)Also could you provide with me the cost for taking Phd in USA for international students.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also major in photonics, here are some of the info that may or may not be helpful...
vinzie said:
1)Which are the best universities in photonics?
not too sure about that, i recently went to a seminar on silicon photonics hosted by a postdoc from southampton (UK), she said a lot of their fibres are from penn state, so there is one you can look into. Other ones I think (judging from where the authors of my textbooks are working at) are caltech, rochester. there are many others I suggest having a look around at sites like fulbright to look for more.
2)How long will it take for obtaining a doctoral degree in USA for international students?
i don't think there is a difference in terms of duration for international students. generally 3+ years I believe
3)I have a dream to do Phd in photonics after obtaining Mtech in photonics here in India.
I'm not sure what the questions is...
4)Also could you provide with me the cost for taking Phd in USA for international students.
varies quite a bit from college to college. I would say around 20-40k a year in tuition

wukunlin said:
I also major in photonics, here are some of the info that may or may not be helpful...

not too sure about that, i recently went to a seminar on silicon photonics hosted by a postdoc from southampton (UK), she said a lot of their fibres are from penn state, so there is one you can look into. Other ones I think (judging from where the authors of my textbooks are working at) are caltech, rochester. there are many others I suggest having a look around at sites like fulbright to look for more.

i don't think there is a difference in terms of duration for international students. generally 3+ years I believe

I'm not sure what the questions is...

varies quite a bit from college to college. I would say around 20-40k a year in tuition

"3)I have a dream to do Phd in photonics after obtaining Mtech in photonics here in India."

I am sorry that was not a question.

And thank you so much for providing me with the information wukunlin!

I have also one more question, is it possible to do part time job during Phd, if I were to come US for Phd?

i'm not doing a phd at the moment and I'm not studying in US so I only know from other people.

working while doing phd is possible by not recommended considering the amount of time required for phd work (although a lot of phd students are teaching assistants in the department). Some supervisors have the habit of giving a lot of work not related to your thesis which further diminishes the time you have for a part time job.

1) Some of the top universities for photonics in the USA include MIT, Caltech, Stanford, UC Berkeley, and University of Michigan. However, the best university for you will depend on your specific research interests and goals. It's important to thoroughly research each university's program and faculty before making a decision.

2) The length of a doctoral program in the USA can vary, but typically it takes around 4-6 years to complete. This can also depend on your research progress and the specific requirements of your program.

3) Pursuing a PhD in photonics after obtaining an Mtech in photonics in India is a great goal. It will provide you with a strong foundation and knowledge in the field, making you a competitive candidate for top universities in the USA.

4) The cost of a PhD program in the USA for international students can vary depending on the university and location. Generally, tuition for international students can range from $20,000 to $50,000 per year. It's important to also consider living expenses and additional fees when calculating the total cost of a PhD program. Some universities may also offer funding opportunities for international students, so be sure to research and apply for those as well.

1. What is a PhD in Photonics?

A PhD in Photonics is an advanced degree in the field of physics and engineering that focuses on the study and application of light. It involves researching and developing new technologies and devices that use light, such as lasers, optical fibers, and photovoltaic cells.

2. What are the job prospects for someone with a PhD in Photonics?

There are many job opportunities for someone with a PhD in Photonics, both in academia and industry. Graduates can work as researchers, engineers, or professors in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and renewable energy.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Photonics?

The length of a PhD program in Photonics can vary depending on the specific program and the student's individual progress. On average, it takes around 4-5 years to complete, but some students may take longer if they choose to pursue additional research or teaching opportunities.

4. What are the admission requirements for a PhD in Photonics?

Admission requirements for a PhD in Photonics may vary depending on the university, but most programs require applicants to have a master's degree in a related field, such as physics or engineering. Other requirements may include letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and GRE scores.

5. What skills and knowledge are needed for a PhD in Photonics?

To succeed in a PhD program in Photonics, students should have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, as well as a passion for research and innovation. They should also have excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, as well as the ability to work independently and as part of a team.