PhD thesis/dissertation writing support group (in London)?

I was wondering if anyone knows a good PhD thesis writing support group, either online or in London?

I couldn't find any and I wanted to set up a meet up group... but I'm not sure what we would actually do to support each other... and when I finish in a few months, what then? Also I'm afraid no-one else will join and that's why it doesn't already exist.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I was wondering if anyone knows a good PhD thesis writing support group, either online or in London?

I couldn't find any and I wanted to set up a meet up group... but I'm not sure what we would actually do to support each other... and when I finish in a few months, what then? Also I'm afraid no-one else will join and that's why it doesn't already exist.

Wait.... You want to set up a support group, but you yourself don't have a clear idea of its goals and functions? Did I read this correctly?

Zz.

Hi ZapperZ!

Yes, you read it correct! I just feel like I could do with some support, but I'm not sure exactly what would make me feel the most supported, and I don't know what other people might want to do... I have some ideas: meet for coffee, write together, do social activities to take breaks from writing, daily motivation chats??

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hi ZapperZ!

Yes, you read it correct!

Then excuse me for a second while I smack the top of my forehead in disbelief. Are you sure you are not training for a career in politics?

I just feel like I could do with some support, but I'm not sure exactly what would make me feel the most supported, and I don't know what other people might want to do... I have some ideas: meet for coffee, write together, do social activities to take breaks from writing, daily motivation chats??

But what you are describing is some social get-together. Can't you seek and get the same type of interactions with friends and/families? Doesn't you school offer social events and interactions that already that fit in with what you had in mind? I would think that this is better and easier to do than form an ill-defined "support group" whose founder has no idea on what it's purpose should be.

Zz.

hm... honestly? I have exhausted my friends and my family are not exactly close by. I am currently not exactly a student at my university so I can't join societies. I would ideally like the group to be more about motivation than just social activities, and I think PhD students at their write up stage are a bit of a more stressed/vulnerable group than other students and it would be better if we had our own group where we understand what everyone is going through.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
How about starting by talking with the fellow PhD students in your department?