Photo Contest - Flags Of Nations (5/26-6/1)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "Flags of Nations" and will be open from May 26th to June 1st. Participants can submit up to three photos, but each photo must be of a different flag and cannot be edited. The contest is open to anyone 18 years or older who meets the eligibility requirements. Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Flags Of Nations

For this contest, your photo must show at least one flag of a nation. The flag nationality need not correspond to yours, or the place you currently live in.

But here's the required challenge: the flag must be displayed in such a way that one can identify the country it represents. This means that a folded flag, or a flag that is difficult to identify, does not qualify. If your photo displays more than one flag, only a minimum of ONE is required be clearly identifiable.Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
flags.jpg

Attachments

• flags.jpg
    flags.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 479
Likes AlexCaledin
Whose flag is it on the far left, the first one?

Likes AlexCaledin
From left to right: Iceland, Denmark, Åland (of which Mariehamn is the capital), Finland, Sweden, Norway, Faroe Islands.

I was passing through Åland on a ferry from Stockholm to Turku, Finland. A very scenic ride... I highly recommend it!

Likes AlexCaledin
jtbell said:
From left to right: Iceland, Denmark, Åland (of which Mariehamn is the capital), Finland, Sweden, Norway, Faroe Islands.

I was passing through Åland on a ferry from Stockholm to Turku, Finland. A very scenic ride... I highly recommend it!
Not as far as I know, which is in correspondence to Wikipedia:
Iceland is the third from left with the lighter blue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland
and Åland has yellow in it: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_von_Flaggen_mit_skandinavischem_Kreuz

But the yellow of the Swedish flag looks white, too, so it's only the different blues which are disturbing. The rest was clear, although I missed Greenland.

The background of the Iceland flag looks darker than it should. I scanned this image some years ago from a 40-year-old slide on which the colors have drifted somewhat. I tried to adjust them today in Photoshop to make them look more natural, but wasn't completely successful. :sorry:

According to Wikipedia, Greenland adopted its flag several years after I took the picture, which provides an excuse for its absence. It would have broken the harmony of the series of Nordic crosses, anyway.

Likes AlexCaledin and fresh_42
StreetofSF.jpg

Attachments

• StreetofSF.jpg
    StreetofSF.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 459
Likes AlexCaledin
jtbell said:
I scanned this image some years ago from a 40-year-old slide on which the colors have drifted somewhat.
The photo gave me a late 70s or early 80s feel judging by the overall color and the clothes on the people.

DennisN said:
late 70s or early 80s
Summer 1978, in fact.

Likes DennisN
the Samara Space museum on V-day (May, 9) : a banner of Victory and a Russian flag
1285e9df_o.jpg

Attachments

• 1285e9df_o.jpg
    1285e9df_o.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 435
IMG_1371.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 423
Likes hyunxu and AlexCaledin
Final day to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

fullsizeoutput_dda.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_dda.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dda.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 753
ZapperZ said:
The flags are not easily identifiable by me.

Zz.
But the nation is. o0)

OK how about this? Don't often see this any more.
Certainly a country. Will you quibble about whether it was a nation? (No pedant like a flag pedant. o0):biggrin:)
1976 Flags at Montreal Olympic Stadium 523.jpg

Attachments

• 1976 Flags at Montreal Olympic Stadium 523.jpg
    1976 Flags at Montreal Olympic Stadium 523.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 692
Likes AlexCaledin
epenguin said:
But the nation is. o0)

OK how about this? Don't often see this any more.
Certainly a country. Will you quibble about whether it was a nation? (No pedant like a flag pedant. o0):biggrin:)View attachment 226502

This one qualifies because it was a nation before.

The quibble isn’t the status, it is the clarity of the flag being displayed, as I stated in the first post.

Zz.

They called themselves a Union of Republics which some people (them) might not consider quite the same thing as a nation but I will accept your ruling. :smile:

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Flags of Nations". Participants are asked to submit photos that showcase the flags of different countries around the world.

2. How long is the photo contest open?

The photo contest will be open from May 26th to June 1st, giving participants a week to submit their photos.

3. Can I submit more than one photo?

Yes, participants are allowed to submit up to three photos for the contest. However, each photo must be of a different flag and cannot be altered or edited in any way.

4. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who is interested in photography and meets the eligibility requirements, which include being at least 18 years old and complying with the rules and regulations set by the contest organizers.

5. How will the winners be selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme of the contest. The judges' decision will be final and cannot be contested.