Photo Contest - Holiday Decorations (12/13-1219)

In summary, the purpose of this photo contest is to showcase and celebrate creative and festive holiday decorations. To enter, simply submit a photo of your decorations by the deadline and follow the guidelines set by the organizers. There are prizes for the winners, which may vary. Anyone with holiday decorations can participate regardless of age, location, or profession. The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on the contest's criteria in a fair and impartial process.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Holiday Decorations

Since the Holiday Lights contest went so well <insert giggles here>, we will continue with our theme of holiday festivities. This time, show us photos of holiday decorations. This can be something as small as what you decorate in your room, or something as big and grand as what I'm seeing right now at Walt Disney World.

Good luck!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
pf.2014.12.13.1303.xmas.decos.jpg

"Silent, Not. Holy Knot"

Likes Borg
This is the full extent of my decorations:

Danger said:
This is the full extent of my decorations:
FTW!

Which is not, "WTF", backwards, as I assumed, when I first saw the acronym, being that I'm poly-dimensionally dyslexic.
It means; "For the win"!

Likes Lisa!
You guys are creative.

drizzle said:
You guys are creative.
Danger and I, are long lost cousins.

ps. The 3D, OmNimax edition has just been released, because the sun is freakin' 23° above the freakin' horizon at noon, and my solar panels were pointed at an average of 90° from horizontal.
I have no idea what I was thinking yesterday...

Science!

And, yes, I understand this disqualifies me, once again.

Attachments

• 2014.12.14.1405.iycfto.jpg
    2014.12.14.1405.iycfto.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 479
Likes drizzle
OmCheeto said:
View attachment 76578
"Silent, Not. Holy Knot"

Would that happen to be the tree you recently cut down? :D

Likes OmCheeto
edward said:
Would that happen to be the tree you recently cut down? :D
It is. Hence the "Silent, not!".
It snapped in two about a month ago, and we've had sustained gail force winds since then.
It had been making wretched, twisting wood, about to break noise, the entire time.
I never did like that tree...
My brother also cut down about 10 other smaller trees.
Who the hell would put up decorations, when no one can see them?

Attachments

• 2011.July.my.house.street.view.google.earth.jpg
    2011.July.my.house.street.view.google.earth.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 394
OmCheeto said:
The 3D, OmNimax edition has just been released
Wow, I am impressed! I'm pretty sure that's the first 3D picture that I've seen on this site. Cudos, my man!

Danger said:
Wow, I am impressed! I'm pretty sure that's the first 3D picture that I've seen on this site. Cudos, my man!
Per sentence 1, rule 4, I don't believe they are allowed.
Hence, it is a side note.
I've broken about 10 rules, in the last 3 contests.
One of these days, I will probably actually read them.

ps. I haven't been informed of any rules about photographic side notes. (yet)

OmCheeto said:
Per sentence 1, rule 4, I don't believe they are allowed.
If you took that with a parallax camera, as it appears, then it's technically only one photo. I assume that the single frame that you put up first was just half of it shown as a "teaser". :approve:

Danger said:
If you took that with a parallax camera, as it appears, then it's technically only one photo. I assume that the single frame that you put up first was just half of it shown as a "teaser". :approve:

It's not a parallax camera, so it is two images.
Also, if you notice in the first "official" image, there are two solar powered xmas lights, with the solar panels directed straight up.
In the 3D image, they are pointed horizontally towards the sun.

Also, if you look at the side notes from the last contest, I included a 3D image there.

IMG_3161_zps8c556fbf.jpg

Zz.

Likes OmCheeto
What? No one else decorates or see holiday decorations at this time of the year?

Zz.

I certainly don't celebrate it. The closest that I ever got after I was old enough to decide for myself was to build a little electric "flagpole" that was strapped inside my shirt collar and raised a mistletoe over my head when someone interesting was within range. That was opportunistic, not celebratory.

Honestly, these past two weeks have been too 'dense' (finals/ end-of-semester wackiness); recent evenings finds me drinking holiday cheer rather than photographing it.

Mooey Christmas!

xmas2014.jpe

Likes OmCheeto
marcin_holiday_decorations.jpg

Likes Andy Resnick and OmCheeto
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

1. What is the purpose of this photo contest?

The purpose of this photo contest is to showcase and celebrate the creative and festive holiday decorations that people have created in their homes or communities.

2. How do I enter the photo contest?

To enter the photo contest, simply submit a photo of your holiday decorations by the deadline stated in the contest rules. Make sure to follow the guidelines and criteria set by the organizers.

3. Are there any prizes for the winners of the photo contest?

Yes, there are prizes for the winners of the photo contest. The exact prizes may vary depending on the contest, but they can include cash, gift cards, or other rewards.

4. Who can participate in this photo contest?

This photo contest is open to anyone who has holiday decorations to showcase. It is not limited to any specific age, location, or profession.

5. How will the winners be selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges who will evaluate the photos based on the criteria set by the contest organizers. The judging process may vary depending on the contest, but it will be fair and impartial.