Photo Contest - Sci-Fi (5/18-5/24)

In summary, the theme of the photo contest is sci-fi and anyone can participate as long as they follow the rules. A maximum of 5 entries per person is allowed and digital manipulation is allowed as long as it follows copyright laws and contest rules. The deadline for submission is May 24th at 11:59 PM EST.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Sci-Fi

Our theme this week is on Sci-Fi, i.e. Science Fiction. This can be related to a sci-fi movie (obviously), TV shows, or books. Your photo must have a clear connection to a known sci-fi entity (i.e. it can't be too obscure that you only and one other person in the world who know about it).

Please remember that it can't be a picture of a picture or image. Your main subject can't be an image from a book, magazine, painting, poster, or even a scene from a TV or movie. A Star Wars t-shirt, if the focus is on the image on the t-shirt rather than the t-shirt itself, does not qualify, as an example. On the other hand, the picture can be a stack of sci-fi books, because the subject is the books, not the images from it.

Get it? Good!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
Our theme this week is on Sci-Fi, i.e. Science Fiction.
Great theme! I'll definitely participate, but I have to think about what to choose...

40910837563_d6e21e27e3_c_d.jpg

On the bridge of the Enterprise ( Well not really, but these are the real captain's chair and navigation console from the original series.)
captnchair.JPG

Likes fresh_42
Janus said:
On the bridge of the Enterprise ( Well not really, but these are the real captain's chair and navigation console from the original series.)
very cool ... where did you take that pic ... sci fi convention ?

Lem, Douglas, Asimov. Guess I just disclosed my taste.

Likes davenn
A small model of Yoda this is. Handpainted by me it was.

(Sidenote: I actually assisted one of the Yoda puppeteers (from The Empire Strikes Back) during a sci-fi convention. Proof is https://www.flickr.com/photos/132956507@N08/47825499802/in/dateposted-public/. :smile: )
34000429008_7a9400e0bc_z.jpg

Likes DrClaude, Rubidium_71 and davenn
davenn said:
very cool ... where did you take that pic ... sci fi convention ?
Three years ago, at the "Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds" exhibit at what was then known as the EMP, (Now the MoPOP) in Seattle. It was an exhibit of Paul Allen's private collection of Star Trek props and memorabilia.

• Love
Likes davenn
DennisN said:
A small model of Yoda this is. Handpainted by me it was.

(Sidenote: I actually assisted one of the Yoda puppeteers (from The Empire Strikes Back) during a sci-fi convention. Proof is https://www.flickr.com/photos/132956507@N08/47825499802/in/dateposted-public/. :smile: )
D..., now that you say it. I have a nice statue of Lara somewhere ...

fresh_42 said:
D..., now that you say it. I have a nice statue of Lara somewhere ...
Do you mean Lara Croft, or?

Yep, she watches my Whiskey.

Likes DennisN
DSCN6141.JPG

Zz.

Likes nmsurobert and davenn

Likes Ibix, davenn and nmsurobert
fresh_42 said:
Lem, Douglas, Asimov. Guess I just disclosed my taste.
Three great SF authors. I've only read Solaris by Lem, which I think is excellent and has a great, unique setting. Douglas Adams has great humor and the books are very entertaining. Asimov is a legend; the Foundation and Robot books are among my absolute favorites, along with Asimov's The Currents of Space and Frank Herbert's first Dune book.

Edit: If I remember correctly, it was Asimov's Foundation trilogy which got me started reading science fiction a long time ago. There has been some talking about plans of making a Foundation tv series during the years, and I'm still waiting for it :smile:... I think the tv series format could potentially suit the story quite well.

DennisN said:
I've only read Solaris by Lem
Another one is The Futurological Congress which is basically the template for the Matrix movies. He also wrote some more entertaining books as the one in the photo, or https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/time-travel-back-to-the-future.876389/#post-5512329 and the link therein:
http://english.lem.pl/works/novels/the-star-diaries/154-the-seventh-voyage
or
"Can the candidate for graduation demonstrate why life on Earth is impossible?"
Solaris is in comparison a bit dark and serious.

Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
Edit: If I remember correctly, it was Asimov's Foundation trilogy which got me started reading science fiction a long time ago. There has been some talking about plans of making a Foundation tv series during the years, and I'm still waiting for it :smile:... I think the tv series format could potentially suit the story quite well.
Ironically enough, as much as the Foundation series was popular with fans, it was not Asimov's personal favorite work. Originally published as a series of stories in an SF magazine, he actually tired of it and tried to end it much sooner,( if I remember correctly, this was his purpose for bringing in the Mule.) but the editor wouldn't let him.( This is similar to Sir Conan Doyle killing off Sherlock Holmes at the end of one his stories, and then being forced to "resurrect" him.)
A part of the problem stemmed from the serial method in which it was published. It came out as separate stories in different issues. Since he couldn't assume that someone reading a story had read the previous ones, he had to provide a prologue to catch them up. As the stories progressed, the prologues became longer and longer... After a total of 8 stories, he finally got to point where he convinced the editor that he had reached a point where he could end the series.

Likes DennisN and BillTre
OK for a bit of fun
Three old rivals corner a common foe, all against the "Fabric of space" 😉

IMG_9843sm.jpg

Likes fresh_42
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

SciFi 1818

ehhd02.jpg

epenguin said:

Can you explain a bit how this is related to "Sci-Fi"? I don't get it.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Can you explain a bit how this is related to "Sci-Fi"? I don't get it.

Zz.

I see by your eagerness, and the wonder and hope which your eyes express, my friend, that you expect to be informed of the secret with which I am acquainted; that cannot be. Years before those days and nights of incredible labour and fatigue, when I succeeded in discovering the cause of generation and life; nay, more, I became myself capable of bestowing animation upon lifeless matter, natural philosophy, and particularly chemistry, in the most comprehensive sense of the term, became nearly my sole occupation , and I, who continually sought the attainment of one object of pursuit, and was solely wrapt up in this, improved so rapidly, that, at the end of two years, I made some discoveries in the improvement of some chemical instruments, which procured me great esteem and admiration at the university.

epenguin said:
I see by your eagerness, and the wonder and hope which your eyes express, my friend, that you expect to be informed of the secret with which I am acquainted; that cannot be. Years before those days and nights of incredible labour and fatigue, when I succeeded in discovering the cause of generation and life; nay, more, I became myself capable of bestowing animation upon lifeless matter, natural philosophy, and particularly chemistry, in the most comprehensive sense of the term, became nearly my sole occupation , and I, who continually sought the attainment of one object of pursuit, and was solely wrapt up in this, improved so rapidly, that, at the end of two years, I made some discoveries in the improvement of some chemical instruments, which procured me great esteem and admiration at the university.

Huh? You really don't have much time left here.

Zz.

Likes davenn
epenguin said:
Has to be from Frankenstein, but I'm equally baffled at the "glassware connection."

Likes davenn
Science fiction is future-directed. Or so we may have thought in times past. But as time progresses, the future becomes a thing of the past. Even quaint. Though not necessarily safely in the past. :oldeek:

epenguin said:
Science fiction is future-directed. Or so we may have thought in times past. But as time progresses, the future becomes a thing of the past. Even quaint. Though not necessarily safely in the past. :oldeek:

Unfortunately, this is too cryptic, and the connection of your photo to the theme is still unclear. So the photo does not qualify.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Sci-Fi", which stands for science fiction. This means that the photos submitted should have elements of futuristic technology, space exploration, or other imaginative concepts related to science and technology.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

Anyone can participate in the photo contest, as long as they follow the submission guidelines and rules set by the organizers. This includes both amateur and professional photographers, as well as people of all ages and backgrounds.

3. How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo for the contest, you will need to follow the instructions provided by the organizers. This may include uploading your photo to a specific website or sending it via email. Make sure to carefully read and follow the submission guidelines to ensure your entry is accepted.

4. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Typically, most photo contests allow participants to submit multiple entries. However, it's important to check the rules and guidelines of this specific contest to see if there is a limit on the number of photos you can submit.

5. How will the winners be chosen?

The winners of the photo contest will be chosen by a panel of judges who will evaluate the photos based on criteria such as creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme. The specific judging process may vary, so make sure to check the rules for more information.