Photo Contest - Train of Thought (5/25-5/31)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    photo contest
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 3K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
32,819
Reaction score
4,724
Train of Thought

The theme this week is on TRAINS, the "choo-choo!" kind. This can be a commuter train, a vintage train, a freight train, etc. It cannot be a toy train, a model train, etc... In other words, it must be a real-life train that is either in working condition, or at one point was running. Picture of just the engine or the caboose is acceptable.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
CCF2619-00000.jpg

On the train on the bridge over the River Kwai
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Vintage locomotive from the Bolshevik era (1920's).

train.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman, Wrichik Basu and davenn
trainofthought.jpg


Decisions, decisions... I've already done steam and electric recently, so here's a classic diesel from the early 1970s.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: epenguin, Wrichik Basu, davenn and 1 other person
Built in 1896, it is still operating today
Wife and I went for a ride on it in the visitor spot of Shanty Town,
West Coast, South Island, NZ

(1736) Shanty Town sm.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman, jtbell, Rubidium_71 and 2 others
epenguin said:
I recognised that as York station immediately - I think it's the only one with that kind of arched roof and a curved platform. On closer inspection, the sign on the leftmost pillar is also a bit of a giveaway.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: epenguin
You recognised right. And I hadn't noticed the giveaway myself! York is where the National Railway Museum is. So given the competition title, I knew I had a lot of photos that might fit, historic engines, royal trains, etc. at least one of which was in a previous competition under name 'technology'*, but when I looked it up I decided they were all a bit fussy compared to the compositional sweep of this forgotten one which just says, 'Railway!'. As I had gone to York by car I was only there in the station because it is on the way to the museum.

* https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-and-technology-9-26-10-4.713108/post-4526664
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Photo taken an hour ago just for this contest. I hope it doesn't derail the thread.
The word "Loket" (Swedish) which is printed on the side means "The locomotive".
I guess some need to know which one is the locomotive and which ones are the railroad cars... :smile:

47951168878_0884541b41_c.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, Ibix, berkeman and 1 other person
DennisN said:
I guess some need to know which one is the locomotive and which ones are the railroad cars...
Would that be the driver? :biggrin::biggrin:
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, Ibix and DennisN
Train on the White Pass Railroad in Alaska.
DSCN4608.JPG


Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ChemAir, davenn, BillTre and 1 other person
Grand Canyon Railway, headed from Williams, AZ to the south rim.

GCRW.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and Wrichik Basu
ZapperZ said:
Train on the White Pass Railroad in Alaska.
How did you get that shot? Were you in a helicopter, perhaps? Or maybe you were on a hill, I can't really tell from your photo.
 
DennisN said:
How did you get that shot? Were you in a helicopter, perhaps? Or maybe you were on a hill, I can't really tell from your photo.

From the Klondike highway on the other side of the valley.

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN