Physical properties of fcc inert gas crystals

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter hershal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Crystals Gas
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
hershal
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I am in search of physical properties of inert gas crystals ( such as colour,lustre,etc). I could get only the melting point.

Specifically, i want for Neon, Argon, Krypton and Xenon which are fcc.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at various sources and could find the following which were most comprehensive.

Neon has a freezing point of about -249°C, and a boiling point of about -246°C
http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem99/chem99460.htm
Richard E. Barrans Jr.
CHM/200/M019
Argonne National Laboratory

fcc in solid form
http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/Ne.html#Physical
Melting Pt: 24.703K -248.447°C -415.205°F

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/Ar.html#Physical
Melting Pt: 83.96K -189.19°C -308.54°F

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/Kr.html#Physical
Melting Pt: 115.93K -157.22°C -251°F

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/Xe.html#Physical
Melting Pt: 161.5K -111.7°C -169.1°F

Since the gases are colorless as gas, unless in an electrical discharge, i.e. ionized, they presumably would be colorless as a solid.

Possibly Praxair or BOC might have the properties if they supply those gases.

I don't know if anyone does solid noble gases.
 
Thanks, Astronuc for those links !

I am doing a project to find out the Bulk Modulus and Energy variation of Inert Gas Crystals using Lennard-Jones Potential . So wanted to quote some simple properties of inert gas crystals in the introduction part.

all at 0 Kelvin . Now i have got the value for cell constant ( length of the crystal cube ) at 0K and 0 pressure and cohsive energy at 0 k and 1 atm, that is what is itching me right now.


In charles kittel he has given the value of cell constant extrapolated at 0K and 0 Presure and in oneother book by stephen eliot has the value at 4 K. I want things at 0 K , so that there are no thermal vibrations and it remains simple.

I need cell constant at 0 K and 1 atm if given in any other solid state book or on net or in any data book.
 
hershal said:
all at 0 Kelvin . Now i have got the value for cell constant ( length of the crystal cube ) at 0K and 0 pressure and cohsive energy at 0 k and 1 atm, that is what is itching me right now.

In charles kittel he has given the value of cell constant extrapolated at 0K and 0 Presure and in oneother book by stephen eliot has the value at 4 K. I want things at 0 K , so that there are no thermal vibrations and it remains simple.

I need cell constant at 0 K and 1 atm if given in any other solid state book or on net or in any data book.
Data at 0 K might be a challenge. That is pretty esoteric.

I was also thinking that if it is colorless, and the electron shells are filled (noble gas), then the solid should be pretty transparent.

You might find the data in a CRC book - Handbook of Chemistry and Physics - as ZapperZ suggested. If you don't have access to one, I can look, but you should perhaps find it in a library, or Chemistry or Physics department.