Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physicist personality profile

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    What does it really take mentally to be a physicist? No stereotypes, just your objective observations.

I believe that a greater than average dissociation from people, although not to the degree of mathematicians, is one important psychological trait of physicists.

The ability to project one's internal visualization and experiences onto the external environment helps to apply the ideas of physicists to reality.

Dogged, but rational, determination with an equation, concept, phenomenon or theory separates physicists from most other professions.

How have the physicists that you have known behaved interpersonally? They must have some such stamina to lecture before large audiences, but even so, many seem introverted outside of their field.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2
    Can you elaborate on why this "disassociation" is necessary? And with that, why this is more true for mathematicians?

4. Oct 28, 2006 #3
    i would think that the first requirement would be to be able to work extremely hard independently. if someone can't even do that then they probably won't amount to much as a physicist, or anything else for that matter. i've never been a physicist before but that's my guess.

5. Oct 28, 2006 #4
    Knavish,

By dissociation I mean the ability to separate emotions, like those about people, from the thinking or rationalizing needed to solve a problem. Mathematics, in general more abstract than physics, may require removing oneself even further from social reality.

6. Oct 28, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds like you're falling into the stereotypes you've asked people to avoid. Perhaps we should wait for answers from actual physicists who can share what traits are important.

One likely trait that is commonly needed for success in any academic discipline is perseverance in the face of failure. You spend a lot of time getting critiqued by others and following dead-ends before you finally make a breakthrough, and you have to really be able to take the criticism and keep plodding on until you find an original idea that really works.

7. Oct 28, 2006 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

(I'm answering from a student view point, not professional)

-constant persistance, while knowing when to take a break (when you're not absorbing anything).

-Finding the easy way out of math using intuition is hepful, but it can give your math collaborators heart attacks.

We have a fluid dynammics and complex systems professor that's kind of nutty and stays up all night doing classified research and academics. He does something called the electromagnetic dance (to show the way em waves move normal to each other), and he allows general questions about physics at the beginning of every class. He's enthusiastic (to us) about physics and tries to make it fun when it can be helped.

We have a space physics professor who is very reserved (I would guess he's a conservative) and hold mathematical formalism up higher than most physicists. He's interesting and mostly easy to talk to, but sometimes it seems like he's communicating over us instead of to us. He seems very stereotype 'physicist' (to me). Nonetheless, a good teacher, and I respect his views on math.

We also have a physicist that has a long, grey, braided ponytail. He reminds me of a character from an anime or something. He's somewhat cocky, and when asked to explain a step that our text makes, will scrawl some clever tricks across the chalk board and erase them real fast, as if he had just answered you to show off. None-the-less, if I can figure out what he's doing before he erases it, I learn some neat tricks.

8. Oct 28, 2006 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

while Evo makes a good point that you're stereotyping, yourself, I did know a math major that said he chose math (over physics) because he didn't want to have to deal with people. I have no idea what he meant, but maybe you can relate.

9. Oct 28, 2006 #8
    Moonbear and Pythagorean,

I suppose I was reflecting on my own move in the past 20 years from physics to social sciences, fields that seem to contrast in my experience. I would be interested in reading here more vignettes from physicists themselves about their temperment and fellowship.

10. Oct 28, 2006 #9

Pythagorean

Gold Member

The dynamic teacher I mentioned two posts ago does a little work in social sciences, because the physical complex systems he studies are similar in some aspects.

do you study SOC at all?

11. Oct 28, 2006 #10
    I read this and it made me smile because that is me exactly. Especially the introverted bit, I can't do any public speaking outside of something I know and am interested about.

12. Oct 28, 2006 #11
    I work on a mental health line hearing out callers and responding to e-mails. The job can at times be stressful, but utilizes my aptitude for empathetic and practical communication to assist those in need. Our "HelpLine" is a close-knit group whose goal is the eventual eradication of mental illness, but for now serves patients and families needing the tools and information to cope.

It beats the job I had at the DOE Office of Fusion Energy.

13. Oct 28, 2006 #12
    If I had to be empathetic in a job I wouldn't be good at it. I could probably act, but it would be painful, haha.

14. Oct 28, 2006 #13
    My current job's pain is productive (remember the original Star Trek episode "The Empath"? To paraphrase: "Although Dr. McCoy has an 80% chance of dying, Mr. Spock has a 90% chance of going insane.") As a physicist, however, I felt a disjoint between passion and opportunity to work it out.

15. Oct 29, 2006 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Totally wrong.

I talk to some of my professors (like all) and they don't seem like that at all.

Some do, but even then, it's not that bad. They seem all very social to me.

I'm a mathematics major and I find myself more social than most people (of all majors).

So, on behalf of mathematicians, this is a false statement. I think mathematicians have the ability to disconnect from society if they needed to because they have hard work to do, but that's about it. But then again, I'm sure all scientists can do this.

16. Oct 29, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps that's why you've been attracted to the social sciences and are no longer in physics, because you didn't feel that passion for physics. That's not something inherent to physics, but related to personal tastes. If it's just not something you enjoy, you're going to feel like it's all work.

I have friends who are physicists (like Zz...we've met in person) and friends who are mathematicians, and they are perfectly normal, social people. I did know a physics student who was much more introverted and not at all social (she had to schedule time just to join us to watch a half hour of TV while in college and as soon as the half hour was up, she left, even if the show was only half over)...but even her fellow physics students thought she was a bit odd, and it wasn't typical of people drawn to the major.

I think the biggest stereotype about scientists in general is that we're all the same and all the same type of personality. Other than sharing an interest in science, we're still all individuals with different personalities. You'll find outgoing, friendly, social people, and you'll find jerks and you'll find shy, introverted people.

17. Oct 29, 2006 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, that's true, but there is common trait that I noticed in scientists. They all seem to be more liberal in general.

18. Oct 29, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's because you're not living in West Virginia...or North Dakota or Texas. :biggrin:

19. Oct 29, 2006 #18
    May I venture to say more agnostic?

20. Oct 29, 2006 #19

Pythagorean

Gold Member

or Alaska :P

21. Oct 29, 2006 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks for warning me. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?