1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and suger gliders

1. May 19, 2006 #1
    Hey I am just having a little trouble with understanding the diagram... i thought I knew wat to do but I seem to get it wrong and now I am confused... if you could help I would be very appreciative!
    The diagram is on an attachment!

There are essentially three forces involved in flying: (i) ``lift'' Fl generated by the difference in air pressure between the top and bottom parts of a wing (or wing-like object), (ii) ``drag'' Fd due to air resistance, and (iii) ``gravity'' Fg. Note that ``lift'' is usually perpendicular to the flight direction while ``drag'' is directed in the opposite direction to flight.
    These forces are involved in explaining the flight of aeroplanes, birds, flying foxes (bats), flying fish, sugar gliders, etc. Consider a sugar glider (petaurus breviceps) of mass m = 0.118 kg that is gliding from one tree to the next along a straight path at = 20.2o with respect to the horizontal as shown in the diagram. Assuming that there is negligible ``drag'', what is the magnitude of the ``lift'' force (in N)? Read more about sugar gliders here.

I know the answer is so simple... just has me stumped atm!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming that it is travelling with a uniform velocity; what are the conditions for uniform velocity?
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?