What are the conditions for uniform velocity in the flight of a sugar glider?

• Thread starter Taryn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of flying and the forces involved, specifically lift, drag, and gravity. The conversation also mentions a sugar glider and its gliding path, and poses a question about uniform velocity.
Taryn
Hey I am just having a little trouble with understanding the diagram... i thought I knew wat to do but I seem to get it wrong and now I am confused... if you could help I would be very appreciative!
The diagram is on an attachment!

There are essentially three forces involved in flying: (i) ``lift'' Fl generated by the difference in air pressure between the top and bottom parts of a wing (or wing-like object), (ii) ``drag'' Fd due to air resistance, and (iii) ``gravity'' Fg. Note that ``lift'' is usually perpendicular to the flight direction while ``drag'' is directed in the opposite direction to flight.
These forces are involved in explaining the flight of aeroplanes, birds, flying foxes (bats), flying fish, sugar gliders, etc. Consider a sugar glider (petaurus breviceps) of mass m = 0.118 kg that is gliding from one tree to the next along a straight path at = 20.2o with respect to the horizontal as shown in the diagram. Assuming that there is negligible ``drag'', what is the magnitude of the ``lift'' force (in N)? Read more about sugar gliders here.

I know the answer is so simple... just has me stumped atm!

Attachments

• glider.gif
    glider.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that it is traveling with a uniform velocity; what are the conditions for uniform velocity?

Last edited:

1. How do physics principles apply to suger gliders?

Physics principles apply to suger gliders in various ways, including their ability to glide through the air due to the principles of aerodynamics, their use of energy and momentum in their movements, and their ability to cling to trees and other surfaces due to the forces of gravity and friction.

2. What is the average speed of a sugar glider's glide?

The average speed of a sugar glider's glide is around 10-15 miles per hour, but can reach up to 25 miles per hour in some cases.

3. How do sugar gliders use energy to glide?

Sugar gliders use energy to glide by jumping off a high point and spreading their skin flaps, called patagia, to increase their surface area and create lift. They also use their hind legs and tail to steer and control their glide.

4. What physical adaptations do sugar gliders have for gliding?

Sugar gliders have several physical adaptations for gliding, including their patagia, which are elastic skin flaps between their front and back legs, as well as their strong hind legs and long tail for balance and control. They also have sharp claws for gripping onto surfaces and a thick, bushy tail for stability.

5. How does gravity affect a sugar glider's glide?

Gravity plays a crucial role in a sugar glider's glide. As they jump off a high point, gravity pulls them towards the ground, while the forces of lift and drag created by their patagia and movements allow them to stay airborne and control their descent. This allows them to glide from tree to tree and avoid falling to the ground.