Physics movies (mainstream movies with physics in them)

Main Question or Discussion Point

A movie called "The Big Bang" will be coming out soon, and although it's more of a detective/action movie, it seems to be somewhat set on a particle physics backdrop. (Incidentally, the tall evil-looking "Russian" is practically from my home town, and it's interesting to see a guy I use to cross at school and the local gym show up along side Antonio Banderas and Snoop Dog).

Anyway, not counting the science-fiction and fantasy genre (space, time-travel etc.), what other movies have physics or a physicist as a prominent part of it? I'm thinking dramas involving a physicist, movies set around a well-known lab. I thought a list could be fun, because I can't think of that many, and I'm less into sci-fi thant I use to be. (The more mainstream the better.)

Answers and Replies

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. One of the main characters works at CERN (and it starts there).

Infinity, starring Matthew Broderick as Richard Feynman.

jhae2.718
Gold Member
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. One of the main characters works at CERN (and it starts there).
So, I'm assuming that scientific accuracy is not a requirement, then?

So, I'm assuming that scientific accuracy is not a requirement, then?
Well, I drew a line between sci-fi and 'real physics places' and this is what I came up with.

Fat man and little boy. The story of the physicist, scientist, personal, and military involved with making the first nuclear weapons.

“A Serious Man”, it is a dark comedy. The main character is a professor of physics.

The following movie has no physicist/physics, just put in it in here in case you may be interested:

“Fermat’s Room”, it is a Spanish thriller. Essential, a group of prominent mathematicians are trapped in a room and they have to solve problems in order to avoid being crushed to death.

Pi.

It's about a mathematician though, not a physicist and I don't think it would fit into mainstream but nevertheless, it's an excellent film and I couldn't overlook it.

Edit:

Whatever Works. "Protagonist" was a physics professor at Columbia and according to his own self, is a "Nobel prize winning brain". Does noooot involve any physics at all though.

"Copenhagen" with Daniel Craig. About a meeting between Heisenberg and Bohr in 1941. Probably not mainstream, but it was a good movie.

"Copenhagen" with Daniel Craig. About a meeting between Heisenberg and Bohr in 1941. Probably not mainstream, but it was a good movie.
I remember watching that movie in a history of science class, and all I could think the entire time was "what's James Bond doing in this movie?"

macnin
I watched The core . the movie in which to drill down the core is the only way to save earth from catastrophe

I watched The core . the movie in which to drill down the core is the only way to save earth from catastrophe
I doubt that movie has any physics in it...

I doubt that movie has any physics in it...
A little geophysics and some talk on fluid dynamics.

"Proof" is a film about mathematics. Interesting film.

*edit: oh and "A Beautiful Mind"... also about mathematics :D *

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Chain Reaction, if I recall correctly. Probably not the most rigorous physics though

Blasphemy. "The Core" has no grounds in science. Everyone knows that flat objects have no core.