Pictures of your personal libraries or bookshelves

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
28 replies · 3K views
docnet
Messages
796
Reaction score
487
I love seeing other people's libraries (or bookshelves) because they give me inspiration to plan my dream library, and books ware what make a home feel like home. Here is my very humble "library" in my college dorm room. Please, share pictures of your personal libraries or other libraries that you like. Please post as many pictures as you like!

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 10.41.24 PM.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Math100, Leo Liu, pinball1970 and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I’m sure your library will grow beyond these few books and expand into many other areas of interest beyond physics and biology.

My own library covers a range of interests from physics to martial arts to eastern philosophy to computer science as well as science fiction/fantasy and just some great classical books like Sherlock Holmes and Dulaires Greek Mythology to name a few.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: docnet
I'm very proud of my bookshelf, but not my book collection.
20211111_070711.jpg20211111_070711.jpg
20211111_070711.jpg

Linear algebra, on the other side Newtonan physics... very basic
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, OCR, pinball1970 and 1 other person
jedishrfu said:
I’m sure your library will grow beyond these few books and expand into many other areas of interest beyond physics and biology.

My own library covers a range of interests from physics to martial arts to eastern philosophy to computer science as well as science fiction/fantasy and just some great classical books like Sherlock Holmes and Dulaires Greek Mythology to name a few.
pictures please!?
 
General fiction, natural resources, motor vehicles. About six shelves are for my wife's books, the rest are mine.
Library1.jpg

Mostly engineering books.
Library2.jpg

I read instead of watching television, and the books just sort of seem to accumulate.
 
  • Like
  • Love
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Math100, Leo Liu, PhDeezNutz and 11 others
I used to have lots of books on shelves, but a few years ago I downsized and probably got rid of ~90%. Now my remaining books are not well organized on shelves.

Instead, I now have topic specific piles of books in various places.
Here is a pile covering about half of my origin of life project:

IMG_0321.JPG


Interestingly, I have at least three books with the name "What is Life?".
I consider about 50% of these books to be really good.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc, Hamiltonian and docnet
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Flive.staticflickr.com%2F65535%2F50763587677_56a785b029_b_d.jpg&hash=b13bd382574a2fcddf24c65cd486174d
One shelf in the den.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Flive.staticflickr.com%2F65535%2F50763847687_8e14fffc20_b_d.jpg&hash=4ab5a1bdee28d1c1dd8cb120be2a8fc8
Shop desk shelf.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc, pinball1970, BillTre and 2 others
64021226446__A6D29226-BBEB-45C0-A312-24EEEF42A7FB.jpg


The Indian/Biology books are mainly my roommate's. Excuse the lamp placement, our apartment is small!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, mcastillo356, OCR and 1 other person
romsofia said:
View attachment 292134

The Indian/Biology books are mainly my roommate's. Excuse the lamp placement, our apartment is small!
chemistry, biology, gravitation ... wow
 
docnet said:
chemistry, biology, gravitation ... wow
Well, he is doing a PhD in molecular biology, while I'm doing one in physics. My thesis is dealing with gravitational waves/binary black holes, and I'm not the best relativist in the world, so getting perspectives from multiple books has helped me. I prefer tangible books over digital, so I had to shell out some cash since I was unable to access my school library during Covid : ^(
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman, pinball1970 and docnet
mebooks.jpeg

It ain't much, but it's honest work.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Math100, pinball1970 and docnet
I think there was at least one old thread regarding this topic.
I'm genuinely curious about @Vanadium 50 's bookshelf.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Hamiltonian
Here is mine. I have other books hanging around since I don't have enough space there.
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, docnet and Hamiltonian
Dr Transport said:
Part of my collection
Funny how I can spot my "Principles of Optics" in your collection.
Idem with "The selfish gene" in the first post. Same books, same edition, etc.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: docnet
fluidistic said:
Funny how I can spot my "Principles of Optics" in your collection.
Idem with "The selfish gene" in the first post. Same books, same edition, etc.
Autographed by Emil Wolf also...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fluidistic, docnet and Hamiltonian
Dr Transport said:
Autographed by Emil Wolf also...
Not a small detail to be overlooked :) Nice.
 
docnet said:
I love seeing other people's libraries (or bookshelves) because they give me inspiration to plan my dream library, and books ware what make a home feel like home. Here is my very humble "library" in my college dorm room. Please, share pictures of your personal libraries or other libraries that you like. Please post as many pictures as you like!

View attachment 292104
I expected more replies to this. My books have been in a state of transition so I decided organise them for an image. I ended up reading a fair bit then fell asleep. I will get round to it! Great idea for a thread.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian and docnet
University has sucked all the joy of leisure reading for me, so my bookshelf mainly consists of classics that I haven't read, which total to a price that is 1-2 mandatory textbooks.
 
pinball1970 said:
I expected more replies to this. My books have been in a state of transition so I decided organise them for an image. I ended up reading a fair bit then fell asleep. I will get round to it! Great idea for a thread.
i'm surprised that there are not more replies as well. I expected that there are members who have quite the collection of books.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Hamiltonian
docnet said:
i'm surprised that there are not more replies as well. I expected that there are members who have quite the collection of books.
We're too busy reading to dig the camera out of the closet! :wink:
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Bystander
there's always a potential security problem in showing any photo online. Some of us won't risk that exposure.

There’s been cases where someone unwittingly posted a cubical photo and in the background we’re their accounts and passwords on a post it note.

it’s hard to imagine how someone with malice might use a photo of a library but it might be a gateway to identity theft Or some other social engineering scheme.
 
  • Informative
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: fluidistic, pinball1970 and mcastillo356
how do you all feel about what's the ideal size of a home library? is there a point where a home library is too large to have a personal feeling? I would love to have a home library that takes up a medium sized room in a home, and that has enough sitting space for 3-4 people, i.e.
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 9.47.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 9.48.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 9.48.35 AM.png
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Math100, PhDeezNutz, Astronuc and 4 others
It'd be interesting to know the approximate proportion of number of pages read to total number of pages in the library. I can't recall the last time that I read a physics book end-to-end; in most cases I only need to look at one or two chapters. :)
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu, BillTre and docnet
ergospherical said:
It'd be interesting to know the approximate proportion of number of pages read to total number of pages in the library. I can't recall the last time that I read a physics book end-to-end; in most cases I only need to look at one or two chapters. :)
Good point. I use mine as reference books. Who sits down with 'GENES VIII' 958 pages, on a Sunday afternoon and says, 'Right, let's break the back of this bad boy.'
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, ergospherical and docnet
I had to find it, turns out I only have GENES V
 
Attachments
  • IMG_20211114_154421.jpg
    IMG_20211114_154421.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian and docnet
Mine is pretty low especially in later years where I’m lucky if I have the time to read and don’t fall asleep from the effort.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and docnet
jedishrfu said:
there's always a potential security problem in showing any photo online. Some of us won't risk that exposure.

There’s been cases where someone unwittingly posted a cubical photo and in the background we’re their accounts and passwords on a post it note.

it’s hard to imagine how someone with malice might use a photo of a library but it might be a gateway to identity theft Or some other social engineering scheme.
Now that I think of it, there might be some gps coordinates in the metadata of the picture... Hell! I removed the picture I posted :( just in case...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu