Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piezoelectricity measurement

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    Hi all,
    I am trying to measure the piezoelectricity of a polymer film using a picoammeter. Right now I am trying to figure out the best way to make the connection to the film without sputtering electrodes onto it. I figure copper adhesive tape or silver paste might be the best way to go but would love any ideas you might have with setting this up. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2009 #2
    Get an insulating film such as Mylar or Tyvek, about the same thickness as your piezo film. Cut a hole in it about the same size as your polymer film.

Sputter / solder at one end of two equal strips of conductive adhesive copper tape for your outwards connections. Lay them down on either side of the piezo film segment at the opposite end of the tape. That way you have an insulating layer between your two electrodes and you have enough distance to the film that you're not going to destroy it if you need to make new connections on the ends.

Alternatively, you can just grip straight onto the electrodes with crocodile clips.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook