1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planning to study in the US for my PhD

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    I'm from the Philippines. Right now I'm taking up Master of Science in Physics . I'm currently doing my Thesis, my current GWA is 3.2. (1.0-4.0 scale)

My undergrad degree is Bachelor of Secondary Education major in Physics. My GWA back then is 89.
    (We don't use 1.0-4.0 scale)

Do you thing I have a chance in getting into a Grad School in US? I'm planning to take TOEFL, GRE and GRE-Physics next year.

Thanks. :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2
    Did you take a semester of classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, e&m, and statistical mechanics? Lab courses?

4. Nov 22, 2013 #3
    Yes! I took all those courses. Right now I'm doing my thesis. After this I want to study in US.

5. Nov 22, 2013 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

It's hard to predict your chances from just numbers. Here are some things that can help, assuming you meet minimum GPA and GRE requirements for a department:

1) Contacting faculty ahead of time that you're interested in doing research with and discussing research interests with them.
    2) having a good research and job history with accompanying references.
    3) a history of awards and honors
    4) some out-reach and/or leadership activities analogous to Society for Physics Students or just local scientific outreach.

6. Nov 22, 2013 #5
    Physicsgre.com has some useful threads for you.

BTW, foreign students are expected to have high physics GRE scores.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook