Planning to take Intro to PDEs via UIUC NetMath — What should I know?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 4K views
Math100
Messages
823
Reaction score
234
Hello, I want to know if anyone has taken an 'Introduction to Partial Differential Equations" class/course via UIUC (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign) through NetMath. I am planning to take this course given the fact that I have taken ODE (Ordinary Differential Equations) and Nonlinear Ordinary Differential Equations before. What are some of the things that I should I know before taking this class/course? For people who have already taken this course through NetMath, do you suggest/recommend taking courses at this school through distance learning program? How's the quality?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The basics for physics or engineering:
- Calculus 1,2,3
- Linear Algebra
- Ordinary differential equations
- Advanced Calculus or Real Analysis
- Introduction to Numerical Methods (optional but useful)
 
jedishrfu said:
The basics for physics or engineering:
- Calculus 1,2,3
- Linear Algebra
- Ordinary differential equations
- Advanced Calculus or Real Analysis
- Introduction to Numerical Methods (optional but useful)
I have taken all of those courses/classes you've listed above, except the last one, 'Introduction to Numerical Methods'. I just wanted to know the quality of the online math classes/courses that are offered from this online college/university, but now, I think I know what I should do.
 
For the topics in the course.

Chain rule, chain rule, chain rule... (most important)
From ODE:cauchy-euler method, UC method, variation of parameters.

It doesnt hurt to have familiarity with laplace/inverse laplace transforms.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Math100 and jedishrfu
For the numerical part, having some experience with matlab or freemat could help. There’s tutorials available on the mathworks site to help.