Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plano-convex vs Double-convex (fly's eye) cylindrical microlens array

1. Aug 14, 2014 #1
    I am trying to find out if I could substitute a Plano-convex cylindrical microlens array with a Double-convex (fly's eye) cylindrical microlens array for laser beam homogenization in 1 dimension. Assuming that the lens parameters are the same, how would the quality of performance be affected? Which one would be a better choice if the laser is collimated?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

4. Sep 10, 2014 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is an interesting application, I would recommend studying the following link and the references provided therein) for a primer on the application of cylindrical microlens arrays for beam homogenization. I personally am not familiar with the pro's/con's of plano-convex vs double-convex microlens array homogenizers, but in larger spherical optics plano-convex lenses can be subject to larger aberration content than double convex lenses of equivalent power; what this means to a microlens array homogenizer I'm not sure since no imaging is taking place.

http://www.amstechnologies.com/fileadmin/amsmedia/downloads/2084_SMO_TechInfo_Sheet_10.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook