1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plano-convex vs Double-convex (fly's eye) cylindrical microlens array

1. Aug 14, 2014 #1
    I am trying to find out if I could substitute a Plano-convex cylindrical microlens array with a Double-convex (fly's eye) cylindrical microlens array for laser beam homogenization in 1 dimension. Assuming that the lens parameters are the same, how would the quality of performance be affected? Which one would be a better choice if the laser is collimated?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

4. Sep 10, 2014 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is an interesting application, I would recommend studying the following link and the references provided therein) for a primer on the application of cylindrical microlens arrays for beam homogenization. I personally am not familiar with the pro's/con's of plano-convex vs double-convex microlens array homogenizers, but in larger spherical optics plano-convex lenses can be subject to larger aberration content than double convex lenses of equivalent power; what this means to a microlens array homogenizer I'm not sure since no imaging is taking place.

http://www.amstechnologies.com/fileadmin/amsmedia/downloads/2084_SMO_TechInfo_Sheet_10.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook