Playboy - I only read it for the geopolitical context

• News
  • Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
In summary, a conman created a device that he claimed could detect hidden messages in Arab news broadcasts and sold it to the CIA, NSA, and other secret three-letter agencies for millions. The French military intelligence eventually convinced them it was a scam, but not before an Al-Jazeera cameraman was detained and there were plans to bomb the network. The same conman also played a role in the decision to invade Iraq and is still involved in the Iraqi leadership. The device, which has been used at checkpoints in Baghdad, has never been proven to work in scientific tests and is essentially a glorified dowsing rod. The irony is that the only person arrested for Iraqi weapon detection is the inventor of a device that didn't actually work.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Actually I don't read it - but 'the reg' linked to it.
http://www.playboy.com/articles/the-man-who-conned-the-pentagon-dennis-montgomery/index.html?page=1

if this is blocked at work, a conman took the CIA/NSA/other-secret-three-letter-agencies for millions with some software that could detect hidden messages in Arab news broadcasts.
Eventually the French military intelligence (!) convinced them it was rubbish, but not until after an Al-Jazera cameraman spent a few years in Cuba and Bush planned to bomb them off the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about the conman that helped get you guys into Iraq in the first place?
http://www.newsweek.com/id/105450

(And he's still kicking around in the Iraqi leadership!)

This is even more ridiculous:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/8471187.stm

Iraq has bought thousands of the detectors for a total of $85m (£52m).

The device is sold by Jim McCormick, based at offices in rural Somerset, UK.

The ADE-651 is in use at most checkpoints in Baghdad

The ADE-651 detector has never been shown to work in a scientific test.

There are no batteries and it consists of a swivelling aerial mounted to a hinge on a hand-grip. Critics have likened it to a glorified dowsing rod.

mgb_phys said:
the French military intelligence (!)
Hey, what do you mean !?

McCormick was arrested last night.

Ironic if the only person arrested over Iraqi weapon detection is somebody who invented something that didn't find real weapons that actually existed!

humanino said:
Hey, what do you mean !?

That the only people able to convince the US top secret three letter agencies that they had all been a bunch of muppets - were the French!
Generally with reference to invading Iraq, the US government hasn't been rushing to ask the French for their opinion.
That must have take some powers of persuasion!

What did the conversation go like?
Mr president, looks like we have been made to look like a bunch of idiots.
Who says?
The French !
The ones we called 'cheese eating surrender monkeys'?
Yes Mr president
Oops!

Related to Playboy - I only read it for the geopolitical context

1. Why would a scientist be interested in reading Playboy for its geopolitical context?

As a scientist, I am always looking for diverse sources of information and data to inform my research. Playboy covers a wide range of topics, including politics, economics, and cultural issues, which can provide valuable insights into the geopolitical landscape.

2. Can you give an example of how Playboy has covered geopolitical events?

Yes, Playboy has published articles on various geopolitical topics, such as the impact of globalization on developing countries, the rise of authoritarian regimes, and the role of technology in shaping international relations.

3. How does reading Playboy contribute to a better understanding of geopolitics?

By reading Playboy, I am exposed to multiple perspectives and analyses on geopolitical events and issues. This can help me develop a more nuanced understanding of complex global dynamics.

4. Is reading Playboy for its geopolitical context considered a valid source of information?

While Playboy may not be a traditional source of information, it is a legitimate publication with a long history of covering geopolitical events and issues. However, it is always important to critically evaluate any source of information and consider multiple sources for a well-rounded understanding.

5. Are there any other publications that offer similar insights into geopolitics?

Yes, there are many other publications that cover geopolitics, such as The Economist, Foreign Affairs, and The Diplomat. It is beneficial to read a diverse range of sources to gain a comprehensive understanding of global issues.