1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please check my road map for becoming a theoretical physicist

  1. Oct 2, 2013 #1
    Please check my road to Physics

    I am a new member,been to this forum before but was never a registered user (?)

    Before hitting on the topic, I think it is necessary to describe my background. So here it is:

    I live in India! I am currently enrolled in BSc MATHEMATICS at IGNOU (INDIRA GANDHI NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY)

    And here is my carrier map:

    Bachelors in Mathematics(3yrs) + Integrated MSc-PhD in Physics & Astrophysics (IPHDAP)(2-3yrs)

    Is the above carrier map sufficient to get a research fellowship in theoretical 'Particle Physics ' ? PLEASE GUIDE ME!

    IPHDAP is a IGNOU Doctoral program.
    BSc Mathematics is sufficient to get an admission to IPHDAP



    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2013 #2
  4. Oct 2, 2013 #3
    a PhD in 2-3 years?? How is it possible to do your grad courses and complete a thesis in that time...
  5. Oct 2, 2013 #4
    I don't really know, check their web page
  6. Oct 8, 2013 #5
    It's certainly possible in the UK because there are no grad course requirements. Instead we have tough courses in the last year of BSc/MSc. It may be that India is following the British model (given our joint history!), but as the previous poster said, check the web site.
  7. Oct 13, 2013 #6
    Hey fgoodwill. I also wish to do the same. Except that I want to do BSc in physics instead of mathematics and then do IPHDAP. To determine whether the career path is correct, one has to get in touch with someone who has done it or is currently doing it. I am not sure when this programme was actually started and therefore it is hard to predict whether anyone has completed it or not. Googling is not helping in that regard either. May be you should write to IIAP and ask. I plan to do that.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook