Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help in Gamma function to series conversion.

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    Can you show me how to get the series representation of [tex]\Gamma[/tex](n-3/2+1)?

For example [tex]\Gamma[/tex](n+3/2+1)=[tex]\frac{(2n+3)(2n+1)!}{2^{2n+2}.n!}[/tex].

I cannot figure out how to write a series with:

n=0 => [tex]\Gamma[/tex](0-3/2+1)= -2[tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

n=1 => [tex]\Gamma[/tex](1-3/2+1)= [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

n=2 => [tex]\Gamma[/tex](2-3/2+1)= 1/2[tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

n=3 => [tex]\Gamma[/tex](3-3/2+1)= 4/3[tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

This is not homework. I have spent 2 days on this and can't figure it out!!!

Thanks

Alan

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I understand you correctly, the trick is to replace n by n-3:
    [tex]\Gamma(n - \frac 3 2 +1) = \Gamma((n-3) + \frac 3 2 + 1) =\frac{(2(n-3)+3)(2(n-3)+1)!}{2^{2(n-3)+2}(n-3)!}=\frac{(2n-3)(2n-5)!}{2^{2n-4}(n-3)!}[/tex]

At least I think this works for [itex]n \ge 3[/itex].

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3
    Thanks for trying. But that was where I got really stuck. I can easily for find the series representation for n=1,2,3,4......... It is the n=0 that is the problem. The series solution has to cover n=0,1,2.......

Actually I am working on the problem is to show

J-3/2(x)=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi x}}[/tex][[tex]\frac{-cos(x)}{x}[/tex]-sin(x)]

Where this is solution of Bessel function.

5. Nov 23, 2009 #4
    Please, even if you have any suggestion, I would like to listen to it. I am very despirate!!!! I absolutely ran out of ideas!!!!

6. Nov 23, 2009 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Nov 23, 2009 #6
    Thanks

I am studying on my own, this question only on the first section, before a lot of the information your link shows. I have to spend some time looking at this. Yes I did look at this before.

The question in the book ask both J(3/2) and J(-3/2). The possitive is relative easy because the gamma function always stay possitive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook