Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plot both sets and I want to highlight the intersection of A and B.

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    I've two problems:

Given are the two sets
    [tex] A = \left \lbrace (x_{0}, x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}) \in \mathbb{R}^{4} \mid x_{0}^{2} = \vec{x} \, ^{2}, x_{0} \geq 0 \right \rbrace [/tex]
    and
    [tex] B = \left \lbrace (x_{0}, x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}) \in \mathbb{R}^{4} \mid (k_{0} - x_{0})^{2} = (\vec{k} - \vec{x})^{2}, x_{0} \leq k_{0} \right \rbrace [/tex]

where [tex] \vec{x} = (x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}) [/tex]

and [tex] k = (k_{0}, k_{1}, k_{2}, k_{3}) [/tex] should be an arbitrary point (i.e. free of choice, but fix) with [tex] k_{0} > 0 [/tex]. For example: [tex] k = (k_{0}, 0, 0, 0) [/tex]

Now I want to plot both sets and I want to highlight the intersection of A and B.

How do I do that??? Has someone any idea? I've some basics in Maple and Mathematica, but plotting is not one my strengths.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Re: Plotting

How do you plan to display a four-dimensional set on a two-dimensional monitor? Once you have that figured out then programming it should be straightforward, but I have no idea how you plan to do that.

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3

I'm sorry, I did a mistake. I need a 3-dimensional plot of the two sets

[tex] A = \left \lbrace (x_{0}, x_{1}, x_{2}) \in \mathbb{R}^{3} \mid x_{0}^{2} = \vec{x} \, ^{2}, x_{0} \geq 0 \right \rbrace [/tex]
    and
    [tex] B = \left \lbrace (x_{0}, x_{1}, x_{2}) \in \mathbb{R}^{3} \mid (k_{0} - x_{0})^{2} = (\vec{k} - \vec{x})^{2}, x_{0} \leq k_{0} \right \rbrace [/tex]

where [tex]: \vec{x} = (x_{1}, x_{2}) [/tex]

and I want to highlight their intersection somehow.

5. Sep 17, 2009 #4

Dale

You can directly use ContourPlot3D in Mathematica to generate the 3D plot of A and B. I don't know about any way to highlight a region directly. I would guess that you will need to simultaneously solve A and B and then probably use ParametricPlot3D to plot it with some sort of plot style that will make it visible and then Show it together with the ContourPlot3D.

Btw, A and B are cones, so I would assume that their intersections will be conic sections like ellipses etc.

6. Sep 17, 2009 #5

Thanks, for you help.

But I have another question neglecting both sets defined above. How can I plot something like this:

http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/patricia/gifs/glcaus1.gif" [Broken]

In my case both cones should overlap (so we have to shift one of the cones) and I'd like to highlight the intersection of both. Is that possible and how???

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Sep 18, 2009 #6

Dale

That is the same as the first question. The sets A and B are cones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook