Polytechnic or Institute of Technology for a research and development career?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
EngTechno
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
What type of schools should a student go , Polytechnic or Institute of Technology, if he want to receive a higher education for research & development?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
We would need more information. I've know some "polytechnic"s that were no more than schools for mechanics, some that were good universities. It might also matter which "Institute of Technology"!
 
HallsofIvy said:
We would need more information. I've know some "polytechnic"s that were no more than schools for mechanics, some that were good universities. It might also matter which "Institute of Technology"!

It's important what kind of research he's interested in.Whether it's physics,mathematics,chemistry,engineering,...
Anyway,without knowing the specific domain,i can blindly recommend CalTech anf MIT.As for "Polytechnics",i don't know of examples comparable with CalTech and MIT...
 
Internationaly there are a few 'Polytechnics' that are of comparable national status.

The only 'Polytechnic' universities I've seen in the US are the two CalPoly campus's, SLO and Pomona.