Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible observation of Pop III stars...? -NY Times article

1. Jun 17, 2015 #1
    I thought this might be of interest: NY Times article on evidence of pop III stars.

diogenesNY

--------------------------

New York Times - June 17, 2015

Astronomers Report Finding Earliest Stars That Enriched Cosmos

By DENNIS OVERBYEJUNE 17, 2015

Astronomers said on Wednesday that they had discovered a lost generation of monster stars that ushered light into the universe after the Big Bang and that jump-started the creation of the elements needed for planets and life before disappearing forever.

Modern-day stars like our sun have a healthy mix of heavy elements [...]

[article continues] http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/18/s...-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2015 #2
  4. Jun 17, 2015 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Earlier thread about the same news item in Cosmology forum
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/nyt-david-sobral-et-al-cr7-popiii-galaxy-article.819483/
    Posted about 4 hours before post#1 here. The thread title is:
    NYT: David Sobral et al "CR7" PopIII galaxy article

I believe I've identified the journal article that David Overbye's NYT article is based on.
    Yes, I see Websterling came up with the same arXiv link that I did.

Websterling also has a physicsworld link. So I'll quote post#2 over there in the earlier thread.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  5. Jun 17, 2015 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook