Possible to get internship over winter break?

In summary, it is doubtful that you will be able to find a paid or unpaid internship for a short period of time during winter break, especially in the engineering industry where paid internships are more common. With most companies closed during the holiday season and the limited timeframe, it is unlikely that you will be able to learn and do anything useful in just two weeks. While shadowing opportunities may be available at smaller companies, it would be best to ask for connections or consider committing to a longer internship over the summer.
ECEngineering
I'm currently an electrical and computer engineering undergrad and I get 4 weeks off for winter break. Is it possible to get an internship (paid or unpaid), preferably in industry, for such a short period of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I strongly doubt it.

Given the recent Supreme Court decision, unpaid internships are probably a thing of the past. Besides, most engineering firms that offer internships pay their interns. Those paid interns are expected to do something that is marginally useful. You aren't going to be able to learn to do anything useful in two weeks, let alone do it.

Two weeks is all you have, not four. Many companies are closed between Christmas and New Years Day. The week before Christmas is not a good time to start an internship because a lot of people take that last week off, and those who do work use that time to finish up the year. What could you learn and then do in two weeks?

The few gigs I've seen over Winter Break are just shadowing somebody's job. This would probably only take place at a smaller company. I don't know how common these are, but if you want to do this, then your best bet is probably to ask a family friend or other connection.

@ECEngineering: where are you located? You may be able to pull it off if you could commit to working over the summer.

Yes, it is possible to get an internship over winter break, although it may be more challenging than securing one during a longer break period. Many companies offer internships during the summer, but there are also opportunities available during winter break. It is important to start your search early and be proactive in reaching out to potential employers. You may also consider networking with professionals in your field or utilizing resources such as career fairs or online job search engines. Keep in mind that internships during winter break may be shorter in duration and may not be as common as summer internships, but they can still provide valuable experience and networking opportunities. Additionally, some companies may offer paid internships while others may be unpaid, so it is important to consider your personal preferences and financial needs when searching for an internship.

1. Is it possible to get an internship over winter break?

Yes, it is possible to get an internship over winter break. Many companies offer internships during this time, as it is a great opportunity for students to gain experience and for companies to have extra help during a busy season.

2. How do I find internships available over winter break?

You can find internships available over winter break by searching online job boards, networking with professionals in your field, and reaching out to companies directly to inquire about any available opportunities.

3. Are internships over winter break paid?

It depends on the company and the type of internship. Some internships over winter break may be paid, while others may be unpaid. It is important to clarify this with the company before accepting the internship offer.

4. Do I need to have previous experience to get an internship over winter break?

Not necessarily. While having previous experience may increase your chances of getting an internship, many companies also offer internships for students who have little to no experience in the field. It is important to highlight any relevant skills and experiences you have in your application.

5. Can I still apply for internships over winter break if I am not a student?

It depends on the company's requirements. Some internships may only be available for current students, while others may be open to recent graduates or non-students. It is important to read the internship description carefully to see if you are eligible to apply.