Prerequisite Required for a Course in Electrical Machines

In summary, the prerequisites for studying "Electrical Machines" vary depending on what you want to learn from the course.
janu203
I want to study "Electrical Machines" Course. I looked for online courses but they all had different prerequisites to study "Electrical Machines" course. Can anyone guide me about what prerequisites are needed to study "Electrical Machines" or any specific contents that i should study (e-book or online tutorials) which are essential as prerequisite?

Physics news on Phys.org
janu203 said:
I looked for online courses but they all had different prerequisites to study "Electrical Machines" course
List the prerequisites given for each of these courses, and compare them to one another. Pay particular attention to prerequisites common to all courses.

janu203 said:
I want to study "Electrical Machines" Course. I looked for online courses but they all had different prerequisites to study "Electrical Machines" course. Can anyone guide me about what prerequisites are needed to study "Electrical Machines" or any specific contents that i should study (e-book or online tutorials) which are essential as prerequisite?

Can you list what all these different pre-reqs are for the different courses and we can tell you why they are there.

It is possible the courses cover slightly different material, hence the different pre-reqs

janu203 said:
What's an "Electrical Machine"?

Let's make this really simple.

Physics, to get a grip on magnetism.
Electrical circuits, so you don't electrocute your lab partner and burn down the lab.

Buy yourself a few small electrical motors to tear down, rebuild, and figure out how to run.

Likes Asymptotic and donpacino
berkeman said:
What's an "Electrical Machine"?
I want to study "motors" , "generators" and stuff like that.

janu203 said:
I want to study "motors" , "generators" and stuff like that.
janu203 said:
I looked for online courses but they all had different prerequisites to study "Electrical Machines" course. Can anyone guide me about what prerequisites are needed to study "Electrical Machines" or any specific contents that i should study (e-book or online tutorials) which are essential as prerequisite?

It depends in part upon what your goals are.
AC and DC electrical theory and a good understanding of magnetism are obvious prerequisites. If you intend on designing electrical machines, add mechanical engineering topics. If you foresee oil-filled transformers in your future, then basic chemistry and material sciences; enough to understand the properties of insulating oils. "Electrical Machines" is a very broad subject.

Handbook of Electric Motors by Hamid A. Toliyat and Gerald B. Kliman is a good reference, but pricy. To get a feel for the subject on the cheap, pick up a copy of Schaum's Outline of Electric Machines and Electromechanics.

Likes janu203

1. What is a prerequisite course for studying electrical machines?

A prerequisite course for studying electrical machines is typically a basic course in electricity and magnetism. This course provides the fundamental knowledge and skills required for understanding the principles behind electrical machines.

2. Can I take a course in electrical machines without any prior knowledge or experience?

It is highly recommended to have a basic understanding of electricity and magnetism before taking a course in electrical machines. This will help you better comprehend the concepts and applications of electrical machines.

3. Are there any specific math courses required for studying electrical machines?

Most courses in electrical machines require a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra. These mathematical concepts are essential for solving problems and analyzing electrical machines.

4. Is programming knowledge necessary for studying electrical machines?

Although programming skills are not a prerequisite for studying electrical machines, they can be helpful in understanding the control and automation aspects of electrical machines. Some courses may require basic programming knowledge for lab experiments or projects.

5. Can a non-engineering major take a course in electrical machines?

In most cases, a course in electrical machines is designed for engineering majors. However, some universities may offer introductory courses that are open to non-engineering majors. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the course instructor for more information.