Press release reveals journalists believe everything they see on the Internet

• Thread starter Synetos
  • Start date
Quite interesting and very true, I wish that internet info would be more trustworthy. =/
The Internet is buzzing with the story of a new study that today's students are so gullible they will believe anything they see on the Internet, and are even willing to believe in the existence of an elusive tree octopus when shown the website for this "endangered species." (The website states it is linked to the "Kelvinic University branch of the Wild Haggis Conservation Society.")

The Pacific Northwest tree octopus (Octopus paxarbolis) is a mythical creature invented in 1998 by Lyle Zapato, but the story circulating on the Internet this week often mistakenly has it that Professor Donald J. Leu, director of the New Literacies Research Laboratory at the University of Connecticut, invented the tree octopus and designed its website to test the gullibility of today’s “digital native” students, who are known for their online savviness.
Keep reading: http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-reveals-journalists-internet.html

Answers and Replies

apeiron
Gold Member
Quite interesting and very true, I wish that internet info would be more trustworthy. =/

In fact it reveals "students believe everything....".

This is one of the reasons I surf the net with my son when he's visiting. If I succeed in teaching him that the Internet is as full of crap as it is information, then I'll have succeeded in teaching him a valuable lesson in critical thinking.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is one of the reasons I surf the net with my son when he's visiting. If I succeed in teaching him that the Internet is as full of crap as it is information, then I'll have succeeded in teaching him a valuable lesson in critical thinking.

Hurray!

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Yah I don't understand what this has to do with journalists...

I wish that internet info would be more trustworthy. =/

You are aware that information untrustworthiness existed long before the internet, right? Why should the internet be any different? It's up to you to not be gullible.

Jasongreat
Last edited by a moderator:
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You are aware that information untrustworthiness existed long before the internet, right? Why should the internet be any different? It's up to you to not be gullible.

It was even worse before the internet. Teachers and college professors could slip in some interesting bit of trivia that they'd heard somewhere and then students were sure to believe it. Or a doctor or a lawyer - information reliability was pretty much equated with however much respect people had for the person saying it - completely forgetting that teachers, doctors, lawyers are human and pretty much as gullible as anyone else.

But, the interesting trivia tossed out during a lecture was often more interesting than whatever subject a teacher was teaching and the trivia would be remembered far longer.

At least with the internet, you can actually sort out which information is true, might be true, or is pure myth if you try.