1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prime Obsession or Millennium problems?

1. Jun 9, 2014 #1
    Hello, people. So I am considering getting a book on mathematics (of the "popular book"-ish realm). However, I do not want it to be too much aimed towards the general public (something like Kaku or Hawking would write in Physics). I want to buy one of these two and I am asking for guidance which one is more worthy of getting (if you have read both):

1) The Millennium Problems: The Seven Greatest Unsolved Mathematical Puzzles of Our Time by Keith J. Devlin

2) Prime Obsession by John Derbyshire

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't read the first one, but Prime Obsession was surprisingly good considering the author's day job is writing conservative political opinions. It is definitely not aimed at the general public - you need to know calculus and a bit of complex analysis to make any sense of the mathematical chapters. (As I recall, his chapters alternated between history/biography and math.) It's not a fully rigorous treatment, and the author glosses over some important details, but it's a nice overview. My only complaint was the typesetting. I think the author used Microsoft Word instead of Latex, and it shows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted