Problem resolved to equation but how do I proceed?

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • Start date
In summary, resolving a problem to an equation involves finding a mathematical expression that represents the given problem, allowing for the use of mathematical techniques to solve for a specific solution. After resolving the problem, algebraic methods can be used to manipulate the equation and find the desired variable(s). It is important to choose the correct equation and use appropriate techniques for an accurate solution. Tips for solving equations efficiently include organizing work, using the correct order of operations, and practicing with different types of equations. If stuck, breaking the problem into smaller steps and seeking guidance from others or online resources can be helpful.
Obelisk
1. This is originally a physical problem in semiconductors

2. Problem has been resolved to one equation with decimal powers

3. 1.6x^0.65 - 1.4x^0.2 = 0.2

By inspection, x could easily be 1 but that is not the solution as the value for x is less than 1.

How can I resolve this equation further to obtain x without using numerical methods / graphical solution??

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt there is any way to do that algebraically.

1. What does it mean to "resolve a problem to an equation"?

Resolving a problem to an equation means finding a mathematical expression or formula that represents the given problem. This allows us to use mathematical techniques to solve the problem and find a specific solution.

2. What do I do after I have resolved a problem to an equation?

After resolving a problem to an equation, you can use algebraic methods to manipulate the equation and solve for the desired variable or variables. This will give you a specific solution to the problem.

3. Can I use any equation to solve a problem?

No, the equation used to solve a problem should accurately represent the problem and the relationships between the given variables. It is important to choose the correct equation and use appropriate mathematical techniques to solve the problem.

4. Are there any tips for solving equations efficiently?

Yes, there are several tips that can help you solve equations efficiently. These include organizing your work, using the correct order of operations, and checking your solution to ensure it is valid. Practice and familiarity with different types of equations can also improve your efficiency.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on solving an equation?

If you are stuck on solving an equation, try breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler steps. You can also consult with a classmate or teacher for guidance. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available that can provide helpful tips and examples for solving equations.