Problem with notation of matrix elements

• I
  • Thread starter Lambda96
  • Start date
In summary, the notation ##A_{\quad i}^j## and ##A_i^{\quad j}## means that the ##j##th column and the ##i##th row of the matrix A are summed respectively.
Lambda96
TL;DR Summary
What does this notation ##A_{\quad i}^j## and ##A_i^{\quad j}## mean?
Hi,

In one of my assignments, we had to prove that the Frobenius product corresponds to a complex scalar product. For one, we had to prove that the Frobenius product is hermitian symmetric.

I have now received the solution to the problem, and unfortunately I do not understand the notation for the individual matrix elements. I only know the notation ##a_{ij}## but what does it mean when one of the indices is written with a space of A or B, what is this space about? What should be the row and what the column in this kind of notation?

Here is the solution

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-20 um 15.45.35.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Lambda96 said:
TL;DR Summary: What does this notation ##A_{\quad i}^j## and ##A_i^{\quad j}## mean?

Hi,

In one of my assignments, we had to prove that the Frobenius product corresponds to a complex scalar product. For one, we had to prove that the Frobenius product is hermitian symmetric.

I have now received the solution to the problem, and unfortunately I do not understand the notation for the individual matrix elements. I only know the notation ##a_{ij}## but what does it mean when one of the indices is written with a space of A or B, what is this space about? What should be the row and what the column in this kind of notation?

Here is the solution

View attachment 329456

It is called Einstein notation or Einstein summation. Physicists use it all the time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_notation

You can deconstruct it by the image you posted.
\begin{align*}
(A^\dagger B)_{ij}&=\sum_{k=1}^n (A^\dagger )_{ik}\cdot B_{kj} =\sum_{k=1}^n (\overline{A_{ki}})\cdot B_{kj}\\
\operatorname{trace}(A^\dagger B)&=\sum_{p=1}^n (A^\dagger B)_{pp}\\
&=\sum_{p=1}^n \left(\sum_{k=1}^n (\overline{A})_{kp}\cdot B_{kp}\right)\\
&=\sum_{j=1}^n \left(\sum_{i=1}^n (\overline{A})_{ij}\cdot B_{ij}\right)\\
&= (\overline{{A_j}^i})\cdot {B^j}_i
\end{align*}

It is an abbreviation for the summation. Summed is over the indices that occur on top and at the bottom, here twice: sum over ##i## and sum over ##j##.

Likes Lambda96 and PeroK
Lambda96 said:
TL;DR Summary: What does this notation ##A_{\quad i}^j## and ##A_i^{\quad j}## mean?

Hi,

Here is the solution

View attachment 329456
If in an assignment you encounter a notation that you have never seen before, then there must be a serious disconnection between your course syllabus and what you are studying.

Thanks fresh_42 for your help 👍

1. What is the problem with notation of matrix elements?

The problem with notation of matrix elements is that it can be confusing and inconsistent, making it difficult to understand and work with matrices. This can lead to errors and misunderstandings in mathematical calculations and applications.

2. How does notation of matrix elements differ from other mathematical notations?

Notation of matrix elements differs from other mathematical notations in that it involves the use of brackets and subscripts to represent rows and columns of a matrix. This can be confusing for those who are used to working with traditional mathematical notation.

3. Can the notation of matrix elements be simplified?

Yes, the notation of matrix elements can be simplified by using different conventions, such as using parentheses instead of brackets or using indices instead of subscripts. However, it is important to maintain consistency within a particular context or field of study.

4. Are there any common mistakes made with notation of matrix elements?

Yes, some common mistakes made with notation of matrix elements include mixing up the order of rows and columns, using incorrect brackets or subscripts, and not clearly indicating the dimensions of the matrix. These mistakes can lead to incorrect calculations and results.

5. How can I improve my understanding of notation of matrix elements?

To improve your understanding of notation of matrix elements, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with the conventions used in your particular field of study. Additionally, seeking out resources and examples from reputable sources can also help clarify any confusion or misunderstandings.