1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Processing of natural languages: where is work being done?

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm a 2nd semester student in the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. My fields of interest are AI, particularly machine learning, pattern recognition etc. I have done a project on pattern recognition in the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata.

I've some ideas about constructing a model of how natural languages (particularly in written form) represent and convey meaning, without making artificial distinctions between semantics and pragmatics and without discarding the level of ambiguity that is inherent (even essential) to our communication and even our cognition. I feel that tools from different fields of computer science and mathematics can be combined to quantify these ambiguous structures. Such a model can be useful to facilitate machine processing of natural language texts, like in semantic search. I want to work on a project regarding this during my 3 months summer vacation.

Can you tell me about professors who have worked on a related topic/departments which are known for working in related fields? I'm looking at the faculty lists of renowned Computer Science and Mathematics departments, but so far I haven't found anyone whose research interests seem to be in this direction, so a little nod in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Molu

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2
    Any help?

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3
    I know Idilia does this, just had an interview with them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook