Product of a rational number and its inverse

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Paige1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rational
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Paige1
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have a question in math I need help with please:
Show that the product of a rational number and it's inverse is equal to 1, with one exception. what is the exception? can anyone help please?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Paige said:
I have a question in math I need help with please:
Show that the product of a rational number and it's inverse is equal to 1, with one exception. what is the exception? can anyone help please?

zero is the exception as it does not have inverse
 
kaliprasad said:
zero is the exception as it does not have inverse

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

kaliprasad said:
zero is the exception as it does not have inverse

however, what is the product of the rational number and it's inverse?
 
We could choose to let the rational number be:

$$\frac{m}{n}$$ where $$m,n\in\mathbb{Z}\land m\ne0$$ (This just means $m$ and $n$ are integers, with $m$ not equal to zero.)

So, what would the multiplicative inverse, or reciprocal, of $m$ be?