Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Products of operators : products of matrices

1. Apr 26, 2017 #1

dyn

Hi.
    If I have an operator in matrix form eg. < i | x | j > then the matrix of the operator x2 is given by the square of the former matrix. This seems like common sense but how would i prove this using Dirac notation ?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

When you square the matrices, i.e. multiply one matrix by the same matrix, you wind up doing a summation over ## k ## in the following way (to get the ij element of the x matrix multiplied by the x matrix) : ## <i|x|k><k|x|j> ##. in the Dirac notation ## |k><k| ## summed over all states is the identity operator and can be removed.

4. Apr 27, 2017 #3

dyn

Thanks for that

5. Apr 28, 2017 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The full calculation is
    $$\langle i|\hat{x}^2|j \rangle=\sum_{k} \langle i|\hat{x} k \rangle \langle k|\hat{x} j \rangle,$$
    i.e., in matrix notation
    $$(x^2)_{ij}=\sum_k x_{ik} x_{kj}.$$
    That's like matrix multiplication in finite-dimensional vector spaces, only that the matrix here is "infinite dimensional".

6. Apr 28, 2017 #5

Charles Link

Homework Helper

It should be noted that there are many other operators for which it is simply a matrix multiplication in a finite dimensional space.

7. Apr 29, 2017 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, e.g., for spins.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted