Professor or Research Group that works on Nanotechnology-agriculture

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a research group or professor for their friend who is passionate about helping farmers in the agriculture industry. They mention their friend's experience in synthesis of nanomaterials and ask if there are any institutions that focus on this type of research. Another person recommends the University of Guelph and the University of Waterloo for their nanotechnology and physics programs. The original person expresses gratitude for the recommendation and mentions having trouble navigating the University of Guelph's website. They also mention wanting to encourage their friend to pursue a Ph.D. in this field.
schrodingerscat11
Greetings!

I have this friend who had synthesis of nanomaterials as his MS thesis. After talking with him, I realized that his passion is on helping the farmers in the agriculture industry. I want to help him find a research group or professor (for his Phd) in which he can apply what he already does (i.e. nanomaterials) into his advocacy or passion (i.e. helping the farmers/agriculture). Do you know any institution who is into this kind of research? Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have any interest in Canadian universities, the University of Guelph does this type of research.

Thanks for your reply! Sorry for the late reply. Just had connection with the internet. I will check this university. Thanks again. :)

It would appear that this group at U. Guelph in particular is pretty much exactly what your friend is looking for. Note also that Guelph. You might also want to look at nanotechnology at the nearby University of Waterloo, who collaborate closely with Guelph in their physics program.

LastOneStanding said:
It would appear that this group at U. Guelph in particular is pretty much exactly what your friend is looking for. Note also that Guelph. You might also want to look at nanotechnology at the nearby University of Waterloo, who collaborate closely with Guelph in their physics program.

Thank you LastOneStanding! I have trouble navigating through the website of U. Guelph. Thanks for your help... I really want to encourage him to take his Ph. D. :)

1. What is nanotechnology and how does it relate to agriculture?

Nanotechnology is the manipulation of matter on an atomic and molecular scale. In agriculture, it involves using nanomaterials and nanodevices to improve crop production, reduce waste, and enhance soil quality.

2. What are the potential benefits of using nanotechnology in agriculture?

Some potential benefits include increased crop yields, improved nutrient availability, better pest and disease management, and reduced environmental impact through targeted delivery of fertilizers and pesticides.

3. Are there any risks associated with using nanotechnology in agriculture?

As with any emerging technology, there are potential risks that need to be carefully evaluated and managed. Some concerns include the potential for nanomaterials to accumulate in the environment and impact non-target organisms.

4. How can nanotechnology be used to address global food security?

Nanotechnology has the potential to increase food production and quality, reduce waste, and improve sustainability in agriculture. By addressing these issues, it can help to ensure a more secure and reliable food supply for a growing population.

5. What current research is being done in the field of nanotechnology-agriculture?

There is ongoing research in various areas such as developing nanomaterials for targeted delivery of nutrients and pesticides, creating nanosensors for real-time monitoring of crop health, and studying the potential impacts of nanomaterials on the environment and human health.