Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Program to create trees(binary)

1. Jan 10, 2010 #1
    Hi all,
    Im doing my final year project on black derman and toy model and for those who know about it, its a binary model.

Ive tried to use visio but it was a failure since i had to create eqns using microsoft eqn editor then place it on the visio tree

My problem here is to create nice binary trees and then place then in a word document. Anyone has an idea on how to do it?

P.S
    I wasnt sure if it was the correct section to post this thread. its not really a homework question, rather its a way to find how they do in books to create the trees

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

hmmm... if you hadn't specified using a Word document I was going to suggest LaTeX. There is a graphics package for LaTeX, PGF, that includes a module for drawing trees, and if I were writing a book or something, that's what I'd use. Although that might be more of a learning curve than you have time for, if this project is due any time soon.

Maybe a Google search for "binary tree drawing"? I'm sure there must be some options out there. You could also consider using a vector image editor, like Inkscape to draw the trees, and you can import the equations as images, however you choose to create them.

4. Jan 10, 2010 #3
    Thx for replying :)

I have already started writing on word and i dont know anything about LaTeX :S I'll try looking for other programs that can be used either as add-on to word or which i can copy paste the tree in word. If i dont find any by the end of the week then maybe im gonna start learning LaTeX

I've also tried googling but I ended up mostly with c/c++/c#/java codes on how to create a binary tree =_=' maybe my google keywords are wrong...i dunno

So does anyone know any "simple" program to draw trees? (ive checked out linkscape and it sounds a bit...complicated :S)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook